Revelations

First year

Over the next few months, Harry did his best to update Tawny and Remus. Most of his letters had been short, and usually focused on Quidditch and studying as to avoid talking about him and his friends investigation in Nicholas Flamel, the Philosopher's Stone, Hagrid's pet Dragon and other things that might result in giving his guardians reason to worry what he was up to.

But, when McGonagall caught him, Hermione, Malfoy, and Neville out of bed after he and Hermione managed to get Norbert sent off to Romania with Ron's brother Charlie, he knew he had to write them before she wrote to them. He knew they'd be more forgiving - and less likely to send howlers - if he told them before a professor had the chance.

Tawny and Uncle Remus,

Well, Uncle Remus, it took me long enough but I finally got detention. If you and Tawny were taking bets on how long it would take me to get one, you've probably both lost ten times over by now. How did I get it you ask? I was caught out of bed, after hours, on top of the astronomy tower. I can't tell you the reason I was up there, because it'll lead to a lot of questions that I probably shouldn't answer in order to protect someone's secret. I know, that was cryptic, but it doesn't matter why I was up there, just that I was. Before you freak out, I wasn't up there alone. I was with Hermione. Wait, that's not what it sounds like. Hermione and I aren't together that way. Just, forget that I wrote that. Anyway, both Hermione and I got detention. Neville and Malfoy did, too, even though Neville really didn't deserve it, but we couldn't talk McGonagall out of it. I'll write back soon, or at least update you on detention. Love you guys.

Harry

P.S. How many points did you all manage to lose in on go? I think Hermione, Neville, and I might have just set a record...

They replied, the following day mostly disappointed that they'd lost the bet about how long it took him to get detention. Although, they did throw in a brief quip about their disappointment for breaking the rules. But, they had no room to talk. By this time in their first year at school, both had served more detentions than they could count thanks to Sirius and the other Marauders.

Harry sent another letter, Post-Detention.

Tawny and Uncle Remus,

I had my detention last night. It was with Hagrid, so no boring rubbish like writing lines. Instead our detention was to venture into the Forbidden Forest and investigate why unicorns were being killed. You know, your typical detention. it was interesting to say the least. I mean it was better than cleaning trophies or scrubbing toilets, but it might have scared Neville death. You two have served your fair share of detentions. Have either of you spent it in the Forbidden forest? I did meet a centaur in the forest though, Firenze, and learned about drinking unicorn blood. I don't think I'll be trying that, nor do I encourage either of you to do it either. Please, don't. Love you guys.

Harry

P.S. Yes, I'm prepared for exams. Hermione has had us studying almost every free moment we have. I'll write back after they're done.

After their last exam, Harry, Ron and Hermione were lounging under a tree by the Black Lake. Ron was tired of studying and listening to Hermione drone on about their exams. It only made the two boys feel worse about their papers, hearing about all the information she filled hers with. So, they thought a trip to the lake would help relax them.

For Harry though, he couldn't relax. He kept rubbing his forehead, because his scar kept burning. It had been doing that since their detention in the Forbidden Forest, and honestly it was beginning to annoy him more than it was hurting him.