The Trial of Sirius Black, Part 3

Fourth Year

From Sirius's perspective, McGonagall's testimony had not gone as planned. When she began talking about Sirius's qualities of loyalty, bravery, and of course his tendency for rebellious activities the Wizengamot ate up her praises. However, the moment she mentioned his advanced skills at transfiguration and defense... Fudge had a field day.

Instead of believing in Sirius's ability to research and teach himself (and the other marauder's) advanced spells, Fudge took the opportunity to theorize that he hadn't learned those spells on his own, but that he had been taught them by Voldemort. No proof necessary of course, just a theory. But that didn't stop the Wizengamot from contemplating the possibility.

McGonagall, on the other hand, made sure to bring up that not only did Sirius know those spells, but so did James, Remus, and Peter. Claiming, that if Sirius if learned those spells from Voldemort, then the other boys must have as well. Her retort was, "Are you insisting that James Potter also learned advanced magic from Voldemort then? Are you insisting that James Potter was a death eater? If you think that then you are a fool, Minister." However, a fool was the nicest name she called him. She followed up with a string of swears that Sirius could only hope the Wizengamot couldn't understand through her thick Scottish accent.

"Thank you, Minerva." Dumbledore stopped her. "I believe the Minister would agree with me that you may be excused." Fudge nodded eagerly, letting McGonagall exit from the room, still muttering insults under her breath.

"Now for my next witness, I would like to call-"

"Not so fast, Dumbledore." Fudge interrupted. "You've proceeded to call many witnesses. I believe it is our turn."

"Of course. It is only fair. Who would you like to call, Minister?"

"The Ministry would like to call Severus Snape."

"For the love of Merlin!" Sirius swore quietly. Of all people the ministry had to call, they had to pick Snivellus. This could only end one way: in disaster.

For what felt like an eternity, Fudge asked Snape every question he could think of. With every answer, Snape took every opportunity to bash Sirius. He spoke on Sirius's pranks, claiming they were meant to harm rather than to elicit laughter. Once again, he took the opportunity to bring up the night, he found Remus on the full moon. He exaggerated every detail, destroying any hope Sirius had of the Wizengamot seeing it as an accident, rather an attempted murder.

He made sure to bring up how he was endlessly bullied by Sirius and James Potter, neglecting to tell everyone that he took every opportunity to reign revenge down upon the boys. He even brought up the memory of the worst day of his life, leaving out the bits about him calling Lily Evans Potter a 'mudblood'. He proceeded to make the Wizengamot feel sorry for him by making himself the victim completely vilifying Sirius.

He brought up their recent night in the shrieking shack, portraying the event as Sirius brainwashing Harry and Hermione into attacking him so they could escape. And of course, he portrayed himself as the hero by claiming he saved Harry from Sirius and the dementors down by the Black Lake before bringing Sirius into custody at the castle.

Snape even brought up Sirius's family connection to Lord Voldemort. The Black family's deep devotion to the Dark Lord in conjunction with Snape's grudge was going to condemn Sirius... Regardless of Sirius's disconnect from the family or anything the previous witnesses had said, the Wizengamot seemed to be buying every word that came out of Snape's mouth. If Sirius wasn't afraid of being vilified, even more, he would have made a come back for every story Snape told, but it would only make him look worse in the eyes of the Wizengamot. Instead, he sat and took the beating. He could only beg for Snape's testimony to end soon.