Doubts

Disclaimer: This chapter may include similar phrases, or quotes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. All of those quotes or phrases belong to J.K. Rowling.

Third Year

Monday morning meant the return to classes. After starting off the morning with Snape's snarling at them throughout the entirety of potions, they didn't think they could handle him subbing in for Remus that afternoon. Their prayers were answered when Harry, Ron, and Hermione strolled into Defense Against the Dark Arts to find their favorite professor back at work.

Before Remus could even begin to teach the class, the room had erupted into complaints about Snape's brief teaching stint. Remus assured everyone that Snape's essay on werewolves was not necessary, giving everyone a moment of relief except Hermione who had finished the essay days prior.

Everyone seemed preoccupied with the lesson, except Harry. He was glad to see that his uncle had returned, but he was more interested in why he had been out in the first place. He hadn't heard from him in days, and the constant reminder from everyone that Remus was okay felt rehearsed rather than reassuring.

After the lesson on hinkypunks had finished, Harry told Hermione and Ron he would meet up with them, and immediately went up to Remus. "Where have you been?"

"I've just been ill, that's all, Harry. I assure you, I'm fine now." Remus said, becoming Harry to his office. Harry eagerly followed, still intent on questioning him.

"I came to visit you one night - before you say that I shouldn't be sneaking around the castle at night, just remember that I was only worried about you - but, when I came to your office, you didn't answer the door. Not a word."

"I was probably asleep, Harry. Poppy gave me some sleeping draught so that I could get some rest." Remus said, brushing off their remark. Nothing the dark circles under his uncle's eyes, Harry didn't believe that Madam Pomfrey's sleeping draught had been very effective.

"Besides, you shouldn't be worried about me, I should be more worried about you. I'm terribly sorry I missed your match. I was really looking forward to it."

"Well, we lost, and my broom took a dive into the Whomping Willow, so you didn't miss anything worth watching." Harry replied, slouching into his usual office chair.

"Yes, Tawny wrote to me about that. Are you sure that you're okay? Do you need some more chocolate. It truly does help with the dementors." Remus said, taking a seat behind his desk, and reaching for his chocolate stash.

"I should have a lifetime supply of chocolate bars, Uncle Remus. You always make sure that I have plenty."

"What about your broom? Tawny said it wasn't likely going to be repaired."

"Not when it's been shattered into a million pieces by the Willow. Honestly, why does Hogwarts have to have a killer tree on the grounds? As if the giant squid in the Black Lake wasn't enough."

"That killer tree as you say has been at Hogwarts since my first year. I've actually grown quite fond of it."

"Well, when it smashes your broomstick to bits then you'll be rethinking your fondness for it." Harry groaned. "I'm going to have to use one of the old school brooms for now. They're incredibly slow. Next time a dementor comes flying onto the pitch, I doubt I'll be able to outfly it on one of those, If I don't fall off my broom again."

"Dumbledore was furious about your fall. They weren't supposed to be inside school grounds. Right after he contacted Tawny he went straight to the ministry to complain to the Minister for Magic. Although I doubt that his rant will have much effect, at least the dementors will hold back for a while." Remus said, waving his wand and putting a kettle over the flames of the floo.