Protesting

Second Year

Ron,

Thanks for the birthday present. I'm eating the chocolate frogs now, as comfort food. What do I need it for? Glad you asked. Guess who crashed dinner last night? A house elf. Guess why? To deliver an ominous message that I was in danger. Basically, Tawny and Uncle Remus interpreted it as, "you won't send Harry back to Hogwarts if you value his life." I think the warning is a load of rubbish. What place is safer than Hogwarts? Nowhere. Yet, Tawny and Uncle Remus don't think so. They're seriously considering not letting me go back. Even if Dobby's warning is true, I've been in danger all my life and I've survived. What "terrible things" are going to try and kill me now? They can't be any worse than Voldemort on the back of Professor Quirrell's head, right? Uncle Remus can usually convince Tawny I'll be okay. I'll be praying to Merlin that he's on my side.

Harry

Harry tied the parchment to Hedwig's leg and sent her flying off to the Burrow. He left his bedroom window open, letting the cool night breeze fill the room. Flopping down on the bed, he looked up at the ceiling, starring at the stars Tawny and Remus had attached to it with sticking charms. When he was little, Tawny and Remus would take turns telling him stories about the constellations the stars formed. His favorite ones, usually involved the constellation, Canis Major, and its brightest star Sirius. Most of the time, Tawny and Remus would end up telling a story about Sirius and his antics and Hogwarts, alongside his friends.

Even though he'd never met his godfather, he felt as if he knew him. From Tawny and Remus's stories, he seemed daring, fearless, and brave. He was bold and a character, and was always the talk of the school for leading some great prank for his friends. Harry knew that his guardians used to be like that too, but with how they were acting now, he couldn't picture them being carefree and willing to take the risks. Harry wished Sirius was there now. If Sirius were there he'd have convinced Tawny and Remus to let him go back to Hogwarts before Dobby had even left. What he wouldn't give for Sirius to be able to write to them from Azkaban. One letter and he'd be back to Hogwarts in no time.

"Harry?" He heard Tawny call through his bedroom door. "Are you hungry? Remus made dinner."

"I'm not hungry." He lied, unwrapping another chocolate frog. To tell the truth, he hadn't left the room for more than a few minutes to use the toilet since the fight the night before. As much as his stomach growled for food other than the candy he had stashed away, he wouldn't give in. If his protest was going to work, he couldn't give in by going down to dinner. Instead, he decided that living off of chocolate frogs would have to do until Tawny and Remus agreed to let him go back to Hogwarts.

"If you change your mind, we'll leave you plate in the kitchen, alright?"

Downstairs, Remus waved his wand, compelling the dishes to glide from the kitchen cabinet onto the dining table. He only set the table for two places, knowing that Harry's protesting was only going to continue. He did however, leave a plate on the counter and charmed it to keep warm until Harry chose to sneak down later to eat it. He had only just finished when Tawny came down the stairs. As he suspected, she shook her head, indicating her dinner offer had failed.

"Everything is going to be fine, Tawn." Remus said, pulling out her chair for her. She mouthed a quick thank you before, slumping into her chair.

"He hates us. He thinks we're never going to let him go back to Hogwarts."

"Are we?" Remus replied, raising an eyebrow. "You already know how I feel on the subject. You're the one that needs convincing."

"I know you want to let him go back, but what if Dobby is telling the truth? What if Harry is in serious danger?"