The Invisibility Cloak

Disclaimer: This chapter includes some passages from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I have modified some of them, but all rights to those particular passages go to J.K. Rowling.

First Year

Harry came downstairs Christmas morning, to find Tawny and Remus waiting for him. Remus was curled up in a chair by the fire, a thick blanket wrapped around him and his nose in a book. Across from him, Tawny was in the exact same position, except curled up on the couch. Harry noticed the two were reading two copies of the same book. That wasn't uncommon for his guardians. Often times, one or the other would start reading one, and end up convincing the other to read it as well and end up in long discussion about it. Basically, a two person book club. They'd tried to convince Harry to read with them occasionally, but Harry typically turned them down in favor of practicing flying or flooing over to the Burrow.

"Good morning. Merry Christmas, Harry." Tawny smiled, slipping a marker into her book before setting it down beside her. "We were starting to wonder if you'd forgotten what day it is?"

"How could I forget Christmas?" Harry laughed, giving his godmother a hug.

"Would you like to open presents before breakfast, or after?" Harry raised an eyebrow, silently asking, 'what do you think?' "Very well, go on." She patted him on the back, before reclaiming her seat on the couch.

Harry took a seat by the tree, rummaging through his pile of Christmas gifts. The Weasleys hand sent him a homemade sweater, like usual, and as well as a box of Mrs. Weasley's signature fudge. Hermione had gifted him a parcel of chocolate frogs while Hagrid had carved him a flute. Xenophilius and Luna had kindly sent him an early edition the Quibbler, as well as a funny looking necklace on a long chain (both Tawny and Remus had been gifted one, too). According to the note they'd attached, the necklace was supposed to keep the nargles at bay. Harry wasn't sure was nargles were, but half of him thought they two had imagined them. Tawny and Remus had given him a few books on Quidditch, as well as new Gryffindor jumper. Tawny had magicked 'POTTER' on the back to make it an unofficial jersey. There was photo on the floo that had both his dad and Sirius in older jerseys that looked just like his new one. Harry hugged it close for a moment as he started up at the picture, before pulling the new jumper over his pajamas.

However, there was one more unexpected gift. "Who is this one from?" Harry asked, picking up the mysterious package.

"It's not from me. Did you?" Tawny looked to Remus. He shook his head, 'no'. "Open it and find out."

As instructed, Harry unwrapped the present, seeing a silvery fabric fall from the wrappings and into his lap, along with a note.

Your father left this in my possession when he died. I is time I returned it to you. Use it well.

A Very Merry Christmas to you

"There's no signature." Harry said, dropping the note and picking up the shiny fabric for a better view. "What is it?"

"It's James's invisibility cloak." Remus answered, lips parted in surprise. "It's been missing all these years. I can't believe Dumbledore has had it all this time."

Without questioning how Remus knew Dumbledore had sent the cloak, he threw the cloak over his shoulders, watching his body disappear. "Wicked." He grinned, looking up to a smiling Tawny and Remus.

Turning to Remus, Tawny said, "The four of you got up to so much mischief with that thing."

"It might have come in handy once or twice."

"Once or twice?" She scoffed. "More like every night for your entire seven years at Hogwarts."

"Don't forget you used it to."