A Trip Down Memory Lane

Third Year

It was safe to say that Tawny was overworking herself. With being away from home, and Sirius's escape on her mind, it was best to have a distraction. Spending late nights, sometimes overnight, at the hospital was the best way she could distract herself. However, when the clock struck midnight on Halloween, Violet barged into her office, and walked her out the storefront window. "You'll kill yourself if you keep this up. Go home!" She waited, with her arms crossed, until Tawny walked across the abandoned street and disapparated.

As she walked up the path to the burrow, she could help but notice the lights still on. Usually Molly and Arthur just kept one or two on if she knew wasn't home by ten. That way if she did make an appearance to the Burrow that evening, she would trip all over the place in the dark. But the kitchen was just as bright as it normally was in the day time. What are Molly and Arthur doing up at this hour?

Walking through the kitchen door, she got her answer. Sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on a cup of tea was none other than Albus Dumbledore. He and Arthur were in a deep conversation about a wizard who had enchanted all of the instruments in a music store to play themselves. Regardless of the use of magic in front of muggles being illegal, Arthur was impressed that the wizard did enchanted them to harmonize to the tune of a song by the Wicked Sisters.

"Tawny, dear, you're back!" Molly said, stopping her focus from her magical knitting needles. "Would you like a cup of tea, I've just put on a fresh kettle?"

"What's wrong?" Tawny asked, looking directly at Dumbledore.

"I would have sent Remus, but I'm afraid he's occupied at this time." Dumbledore said, tipping his cup towards the window where the full moon was shining brightly in the clear night sky.

"What happened? Which one of them is it?"

"It's Sirius." Arthur said, making her heart sink. "He's at Hogwarts."

"Earlier this evening during the Halloween feast, Mr. Black attempted to break into Gryffindor Tower. Both the Fat Lady and our resident poltergeist have spotted Sirius, and say that he attacked the Fat Lady when she wouldn't let him in." Dumbledore said, sipping his tea.

"Attack the Fat Lady? No, Sirius would never."

"Unfortunately, the damage to the Fat Lady's portrait tells another story. Sirius did indeed try to break into the tower."

"Why would he do such a thing?"

"I was hoping you could tell me. You are his fiancé. Other than Remus, you know him the best. What would make Sirius want to go to Hogwarts?"

"I dunno. I wish I did. That way they would stop printing that rubbish about Sirius being a murderer and betrayer in the Prophet."

"Have you heard from him? Has Sirius tried to contact you in any way?"

"No." She responded after too long of a pause.

"Are you certain? It could have been an unmarked note or a symbol, or something to gain your attention. Something that could help us."

"No, he hasn't sent anything that could help us." It wasn't exactly a lie. As far as Tawny was concerned, the note that Sirius had sent was a confusing message. It wasn't of any use to them. "Albus, did you say he tried to break in during the feast?"

"That is correct."

"It's Halloween, all of the students attend the feast, or Sir Headless Nick's Death Day parties. Regardless, none of the students would have been in the tower."