Return to the Shrieking Shack

Third Year

The morning after the secret Hogsmeade trip, was the first official day of the holidays. All of the students who were heading home for the break packed their trunks and made their way down to the express. Since Tawny was staying at the Burrow with the Weasley's, Harry and Remus would be accompanying them for Christmas.

Remus though, would have to wait. The full moon was kicking off the holiday. Unlike their house, the Burrow was not equips to handle the presence of a werewolf. Besides, having him transform there, with a house full of people did not sound appealing or safe.

Since their house was under the constant eye of aurors, transforming in the shed as usual would also be a problem for the unregistered werewolf. That left the only place that he could keep 100% out of the public eye during the holidays was the Shrieking Shack. So, when Harry stopped by his office to collect him for the train ride home, Remus had to tell him he would be staying a few extra days due a personal request from Dumbledore, but assured him he would be home Christmas Eve.

Not long after the students had gone, Remus had packed his briefcase full of supplies to keep him busy during his time in the shack. A bundle of essays he still had to grade, as many bottles of the wolfsbane potion that Snape had provided him with, several books for a bit of light reading (including Sirius's journal he recovered from their old dorm room), and multiple blankets to keep him warm during the freezing temperatures, and some food from the kitchens, not that he would be eating much of it.

Before he could lock up his office though, he had a visitor come knocking on his door. "I'm just about to step out for the afternoon," Remus said, closing his case and not looking at the door.

"I promise I won't keep you long." Remus spun around hearing the familiar voice of the headmaster behind him.

"Dumbledore - er - come on in. Have a seat."

"That won't be necessary. I simply dropped by to escort you out to the Shrieking Shack, for old time's sake." The headmaster said, stepping out of the doorway. "After you, Professor Lupin."

"Oh, that's very kind of you sir." Remus said, shoving a few more items into his briefcase before exiting the room.

The two men made their way through the castle, taking a few short cuts as to hide the from the prying eyes of the students, and the portraits.

As they walked, Dumbledore asked him questions about his class, and the upcoming holidays, anything but the questions that Remus knew he truly wanted to ask.

"Headmaster, why are you really walking with me?"

"We haven't spoken in a while, except in passing. I thought this would be a good way of catching up."

"You thought that this would be a good way to ask me about Sirius."

"If the topic of Mr. Black were to come up, that would also be very beneficial."

"I haven't heard from him and as far as i know Tawny hasn't either nor am I any closer to figuring out why he is here at Hogwarts."

"I see that Sirius's journal didn't reveal anything."

"Not anything that would explain his presence. I brought it with me to continue looking through it, but I doubt that I will find anything new."

"Sirius did always strike me as someone that would be very good at keeping secrets."

"When he had secrets to keep, yes. He was never the one to spoil a surprise party or spill the details of a prank. But, Sirius never kept anything from us, not intentionally. I just don't know why he wouldn't be telling us anything now, not when he knows we have a million questions."