I Must Finish What I Started

Third Year

            The last days of summer came and went, until the day before they kids would pack up their trunks, and ride off to Hogwarts to start the new term. As usual, Tawny, Harry and Remus were spending the final day of summer at the Burrow. Instead of chatting the afternoon away with Molly, Arthur and Remus, Tawny stayed put in the window seat of the stairway, hugging a cup of tea and watching the kids practice quidditch.

Watching was really a loose term. It was more like hiding. She really just wanted to avoid all the questions that came with Sirius's return. Are you okay? Have you heard from him? Do you know where he is? Did you help him escape? What is Sirius Black really capable of? That had been her week at work. The never-ending wave of questions never ceased, and she ended up locking herself in her office, doing paperwork and delegating her patients to the department staff. It was just too much to handle at one time, and she needed a break.

Even though she knew that Molly and Arthur wouldn't question her relentlessly, and that she should be spending her Remus's last day home until Christmas with him, she couldn't bring herself to go downstairs. She didn't want to risk a conversation about Sirius, and didn't know if she was ready to talk about it just yet. So, being alone was the best way for her to avoid having to.

"Tell us, is she okay?" Molly asked Remus.

"I wish I knew. She hasn't really spoken to Harry or I much since the news broke. Her friend Violet wrote my earlier in the week to see if she had told me anything. She said Tawny had been incredibly quiet at work, and has been shutting out everyone. So, it's not just us." Remus Sighed. "She never thought this would happen, so now that she knows he's out there... I can only imagine the amount of worry running through her head."

"How are you doing? He might be her fiancé, but he's one of your best friends."

"Honestly... I'm angry. He's being stupid and reckless. He the most wanted fugitive there is, and he has to know it. What could be so important that now, after all these years he decides to plan an escape? What would make him put her through this? Put us through this? When he was in there, at least we knew he was safe. Miserable, but safe. Now, he's on the run, probably starving and I can't do anything about it." Remus groaned, tugging on the ends of his hair.

"I can't wish he would write, or show up on the doorstep because the moment he does he's almost guaranteed to get caught. We have aurors sitting on our house and following us when we leave trying to get the slightest glimpse of Fugitive Sirius Black. When he's caught... they won't take him back to Azkaban..." Molly rested her hand on his shoulder, urging him to continue venting.

"It's not as if I want him back there. He doesn't deserve to be locked up, freezing, and having his worst memories and feelings played on a loop. I want him free, just... just not like this."

"We know Sirius has a tendency to make dangerous decisions. But, we also know that Sirius never does anything without a reason. If he broke out of Azkaban, it's because he thought he had to. Something right now, must be important to him." Arthur said, waving his wand to refill their mugs.

"What about Harry? How does he feel about all of this?" Molly asked.

"I don't think Harry knows how to feel about it. He didn't grow up with Sirius around. To him, he's someone that we've built up to be... well a legend. He only knows Sirius from our stories, and our feelings for him, not his own. I'm not sure he knows what to expect." Remus said, looking out the kitchen window, getting a glimpse of the boys, and Ginny, playing outside. "He hasn't been getting a lot of sleep lately, but I don't think that's because of Sirius."