The Trial of Sirius Black, Part 1

Fourth Year

It's been one month since fugitive Sirius Black was arrested from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after his escape from Azkaban last summer. Today, after almost 13 years, Black will stand trial for the murder of James and Lily Potter, Peter Pettigrew, and twelve muggles on the 31st of October 1981. When questioned about the trial, Minister Fudge replied, "This trial is merely a formality to confirm what we already know: Sirius Black is a murderer."

Regardless of the charges, Black's fiancé Tawny Lovegood and godson Harry Potter – James and Lily Potter's son – remain adamant of Black's innocence. Yesterday at the ministry, Lovegood told reporters, "The wizarding world has made Sirius out the be the villain for almost thirteen years. They have believed in the guilt of the wrong man for too long. This trial is the opportunity for the world to finally know the truth."

If not Black, who is this mysterious killer? Luckily for you readers, today we will find out! I'll be sitting in on the trial, giving you all the juicy details about who is the "real" killer? Is it Sirius Black? Or is it someone else? – Rita Skeeter

Sirius crumpled up his copy of the Daily Prophet and threw it across his cell. The last thing he needed was Rita Skeeter and her quick quotes quill listening in on his trial today. At least if he was found guilty, he could find peace in knowing that he didn't have to read her over-exaggerated gossip column in tomorrow's Daily Prophet about how after all this time he really the criminal was everyone believed.

A month ago, when Tawny came to him in the tower at Hogwarts, she begged him to go through with a trial. For some reason, Cornelius Fudge granted him one. Why? He wasn't exactly sure. But he knew that Tawny wouldn't give up until she made one happen. Sirius had stood in that cell wanting with every fiber of his being to make her happy and hope she was right. That hopefully they would have enough evidence to convict Peter instead and set him free...

But, when Harry and Hermione showed up outside his window on the back of a hippogriff, pleading with him to fly away from this madness the thought crossed his mind. He wanted to jump on and escape. He wanted Tawny to understand his fear of this trial. That maybe running away was the only way to save his life. That he would make an effort to see her, so be there for Harry as he continued at Hogwarts. That he could search for Wormtail and bring him to justice eventually.

At the same time, he knew he had left her for too long. That he wanted nothing more than for this madness to be over. That if she was right, he would be free. He wouldn't have to miss any more moments. They could finally get married. They could live the life he promised her almost fourteen years ago. She had waited so long for him. Could he bear to make her wait any longer? Could he wait any longer? He didn't want to. He couldn't. He had to take the risk. So, he sent Harry and Hermione off and agreed to a trial that would either save him or condemn him.

That brought him to his cell at the ministry. Fudge was paranoid that if they sent him back to Azkaban he would somehow flee, again. At the ministry, they could keep a close eye on him. To be fully honest, Sirius couldn't blame him. The thought crossed his mind more than once over the past month.

However, with him being at the ministry, he was allowed, visitors. Well, allowed might not be the correct phrase. It was more like Kingsley and Tonks snuck in Tawny, Remus and Harry to see him occasionally. Those visits kept him going. Tawny would come in and update him on the witness lists, and evidence that she had fine-tuned with Dumbledore. She would also bring snacks and have them a picnic. Well, a picnic separated by cell bars, but still a picnic. It reminded him of him bringing her lunch/dinner at Mungo's

Harry would come in and talk to him about quidditch and Hogwarts. He even brought the Marauder's map with him one time and Sirius walked him through all the secret corridors and the best ways to sneak around the castle. Yes, Remus had given the map back to him. The moment that Harry mentioned wanting to show it to Sirius, Remus gave in. How could he deny the man a potentially last look at one of his most prized creations?