Chapter 1

-September 26th, 2013-

2:15 a.m.

All was quiet in the streets of Austin, Texas as 13 year old, Devyn Collins, was walking home from a stroll since she couldn't sleep. Yes it was VERY early in the morning, and she was a bit young to be out on her own, but hell, she was restless and she knew her way home.

It was a nice cool night, despite of it being summer, she was dressed in a simple white t-shirt, red jacket, blue jeans, and black shoes.

She had her headphones in listening to her music and not paying much attention to her surroundings, until she looked up from her feet and saw a few people running away from someone, or something.

She looked confused and took out her headphones, her ears soon filling with violent screams and people pleading for help.

"What the..?"

Her heart was racing as she saw it all happen so fast. Cars crashing into each other, fires burning buildings, gunshots filled the air, and worst... seeing innocent people being tackled down by these.. things and eating their flesh.

Blood was everywhere, along with shattered glass on the ground. Devyn felt her heart soon drop as she thought about her mother and younger brother, and she bolted through the alleys and city streets, making it just outside to a small townhouse of which she called home.

She saw through the window to her mother's bedroom, seeing that a light was on and she rushed in the house to see that everything was torn apart, knocked over, and broken.

"Mom! Damien!" She yelled for their names as she rushed upstairs, hoping to find them alive.

She walked down the hall seeing the blood streaks on the wall, and her mother's door was cracked open. She hesitated for a moment, but soon made her way over and pushed it open.

"Damien?" She said quietly.

Her eyes went wide as she saw the sight, seeing blood splattered everywhere, and a pool of it with her 6 year old little brother, right in the middle.

She wanted to scream, cry, say his name, but nothing came out. Instead, she walked to him, dropping to her knees and picking up his limp body to hold close to hers.

Tears fell from her eyes as she saw many bite marks on his arms, and a bullet wound in his forehead.

She sobbed as she rocked back and forth. "No no no... Damien.. don't take him away."

She soon heard footsteps edging closer to the room. She tensed up as she felt a hand on her shoulder. Her head shot up as she saw her red, teary eyed mother, covered in blood and a gun in her hand.

"Devyn.. honey come on, we gotta go, quickly."

"No!! What did you do!? Why did you kill him!?" She screamed

"He was one of those things.. I had to.. now come on.. get your gun and let's go. Please.."

"I.. I.." She kissed his forehead and laid him down, standing up as her whole body shook when she went to her room to pull out her 9mm handgun her father had gotten her for emergencies before he passed a year ago.

Her clothes were now covered in blood and she rushed outside with her mom. Her eyes were misty from the tears and her mother practically dragged her through the streets to find a way out.

Devyn was then tackled by what they call runners, and she was too distracted and weak to get him off. She fought weakly and her mother shot it in the head.

"Devyn! Get up.. now! You need to run, as fast as you can okay baby.. I can't come with you, but you need to find safety-" She was cut off by being pushed down

Devyn screamed and backed away. "Mom!!"

"Go Devyn!"

She cried and turned to run. To run as fast as she could. She felt a sharp pain on her collarbone, but ignored it and bumped into an older man who was holding his daughter.

She looked up at him and frantically backed up. "I'm sorry.."

The man didn't say anything and just watched her flee from him.

"Joel! Let's move!" The guy who was with him shouted as he continued to run.

Devyn made her way through an alley to a bar, then ran through a path to the highway. She went and hid behind some rocks as she felt her legs ache, and tears fell down her cheeks continuously.

She sobbed and curled up in a ball, regretting leaving her mother behind and getting bit by one of those things. She looked down at the wound, it was bleeding badly and she covered her face.

"Mommy.." She mumbled

She was interrupted by another runner tackling her and she took out her gun, shooting it right in the chest twice, then pushing it off of her.

She breathed hard as she backed away from the body, looking up to see the same man she had run into earlier, running passed her and encountered a soldier.

She watched them, making sure to stay hidden. She couldn't make out what they were saying, but it wasn't needed as she saw the bullets being shot and he fell back as his daughter flew out of his arms, and one other man, a bit younger than the first one, shooting and knocking the soldier away.

Devyn heard the faint cries coming from the girl and the men rushed over to her. She couldn't bare to watch anymore, so she stood up and made a run for it.

Soon disappearing into the woods away from the fires and screams, and most of all.. away from those monsters, but she knew she would become one.

She collapsed and took out her gun, staring at it in her hand as she shook. She knew her mom was dead, her brother was dead, everyone she knew was dead, so why couldn't she be?

She raised the gun to her temple, staring at the stars that were faintly glowing in her eyes. She remembered her family, and smiled softly as she pulled the trigger slowly...

BANG!