Chapter 9

-Previously-

Devyn relaxed and thought to reassure herself, 'I'm okay' 

-------------------------------

After traveling for what seemed like forever, Ellie started getting tired and wanted to find somewhere to rest since they were close to the university, and figured they could use one more night of good rest before they got there. 

She whined and groaned to Joel, begging him to stop somewhere for good shelter. Devyn laughed at the two as they bickered back and forth, smiling to herself and stared at Joel for a good amount of time.

"Come on Joel. We've been going for hours, can we please just settle for the night?"

"Ellie, it ain't even close to dark yet and you're already tired?"

"She's right. It would be a good idea to stop now to look for a safe place while we still got a bit of daylight, and plus it's starting to get colder." Devyn added.

Joel sighed and nodded as he found an abandoned house in the little town they had arrived in, and led the horse into the garage. He got down after Ellie and Devyn did, and went over to help them shut the garage door.

"There. We should be good for the night." Joel looked at the two 

"Yea, let's go check the place out." Ellie went and roamed through the house.

Joel and Devyn walked in and fixed up the couch and found some decent mattresses to sleep on and set their bags down. Joel got a few materials to start a fire as Devyn pulled out some food they found along the way.

"Hey Ellie, can you get the bowls and spoons from my bag for me?" Devyn asked.

"Sure thing." Ellie nodded.

Joel seemed a bit quiet. He still felt guilty for the fight they had back at the ranch house. He felt like Devyn had a different look at him now that she had seen his bad side. He was kinda worried to speak up and talk to her.

He built up the confidence to speak up to her. "Hey.. about that stuff I said, back at the ranch.."

"Joel." She glanced at him "I really.. don't wanna talk about it. You said what you needed to say, and you changed your mind about taking us. We're all here now, and we just.. need to put it aside."

"Look, I know you saw it one way, but I didn't want it to be interpreted that way. I didn't trust myself to travel the rest of the way"

"Why? Joel, we made it that far to Tommy's, and you were fine with that. I don't know why this would make any difference-" She was cut off by him

"Because I care about you!" His voice raised slightly as he looked in her eyes, and he cleared his throat. "I uh.. I care about the both of you, I mean.."

Devyn blushed deeply and thought in her head, 'Did he.. just make a confession?'

She stared at him and waited for him to make a move, but he did nothing. She frowned and sat up straight. "Okay no."

"What?"

"You.." Her face went red "You don't get to confess like that and not do anything after saying so! It's not fair! Because I've been waiting for you to fucking say something like that, and nothing came from you and that just made me upset because hell, I've liked you since the first day we met Joel. Okay? There's things about me I can't tell you but-"

She was interrupted by his lips that were crashed against hers, moving in synchronized movement and her eyes fluttered closed. Her arms moved around his neck as he pulled her close to him and placed his hand on her cheek.

They both pulled back after a few minutes and just stared for a moment. Devyn smiled bigger than she ever has in a while, and Joel showed a genuine smile she didn't even know he had.

"How's that feel for doin' somethin'?" He said and chuckled 

"I think you redeemed yourself sir."

"Finally!" Ellie's voice shouted from excitement from behind them. 

Their heads turned to look at her as she set the bowls and spoons down and a smile was spread across her face.

"It's about fucking time too. You guys were worrying me there for a while."

"Ellie, really?" Joel said and sat up straight.

"How much.. did you see?" 

"Well, not really see much, but I heard. and I don't think I wanna know what's gonna happen tonight."

"Ellie." Joel gave her a deadly look and blushed.

Devyn's face was red and she fiddled with her sleeves. "Not.. happening. Not now."

"I'm just kidding guys, calm down" Ellie laughed.

Devyn breathed out, feeling relieved and still felt Joel's arm around her waist.

"Good. Now, let's eat and get warmed up." Joel served their dinner and they all ate, feeling the warmth of the fire.

-later that night-

Joel moved Ellie off the couch after she fell asleep, onto one of the mattresses for her to be more comfortable and warmer during the night.

Devyn watched him and smiled a bit, seeing how he treated Ellie as if she was his own daughter. Joel noticed her staring and he smiled, "What?"

"Nothin, just like watchin you." She chuckled

"Really? Well, if you wanted attention that much, you should've just asked." He walked over and sat with her on the couch and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her close to him again.

"Aw, how could you tell?" She smiled and brushed her lips against his.

"I have my own way of tellin." He kissed her softly, feeling her arms around his neck.

Devyn pulled back and rested her forehead on his. "You have.. no idea, how much I wanted this." She spoke softly.

"Trust me, it's been a while since I've had this." He smiled.

She looked in his brown eyes and kissed his cheek, then nuzzled her head in his neck. "Hmm"

He leaned against her and rubbed her arms. He picked her up and moved her and himself to the other bed next to Ellie's. He held her close and kissed the top of her head.

"There. That better?"

"Much better.." She mumbled as she started getting tired and yawned, "Hey Joel.."

"Hm?"

"I.. love you.." She mumbled out, but clear enough for him to hear, and his body tensed a little, but didn't wanna worry her.

He felt his happiness again, with both Devyn and Ellie. They could all be a family and be happy, but he was worried of getting too close.

"Me too Devyn.." He said softly.

'Me too.'