Chapter 8

Third Person p.o.v

Joel looked back at Ellie, "Do you even realize what your life means? Huh?" He paused "Runnin off like that and puttin' yourself at risk? It's pretty goddamn stupid. And leaving Devyn behind like that? She was worried about you."

"Well I guess we're both disappointed in each other then." Ellie looked at him.

Joel walked over to her, "What do you want from me?"

Ellie was starting to get upset and spoke her mind. "Admit that you wanted to get rid of us the whole time."

"Look, Tommy knows this area-"

"Ah fuck that.." Ellie snapped and stood up as she rubbed her face in frustration.

"Well I'm sorry, I trust him better than I trust myself. I want both you and Devyn to get there safely."

"Stop with the bullshit Joel. What the hell are you so afraid of? That we're gonna end up like Sam? I can't get infected!"

"How many close calls have we all had?" He snapped

"Well we seem to be doing good so far"

"And now you'll both be doin' even better with Tommy!" Joel shouted and turned around to walk out, seeing Devyn standing in the doorway. Her eyes were welling up with tears.

"Joel.. Ellie isn't like her you know.."

"What?"

"Maria told us about Sarah, and-"

"Devyn." He stopped her "You are treading.. on some mighty thin ice here."

"I'm sorry about your daughter, but I have lost people too and so has Ellie, let me guarantee that."

"You two have no idea what loss is."

Devyn gave him a cold stare and walked to him "I held my LITTLE brother in my arms the night he died. I watched my mother get slaughtered by a runner right in front of me. I was just a fucking KID Joel."

Ellie looked at him, "Everyone we cared for, has either died or left us. Everyone- fucking except for you!" She pushed him back.

Devyn looked at Joel as a few tears streamed down her cheeks. "I may seem like I'm strong.. but I'm still like a fragile doll. So don't you dare tell me that I don't know what loss is."

"And don't tell me that I would be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." Ellie said to him.

Joel stared at the both of them, feeling like he was in the wrong but knew it was the right thing. He never expected them to act this way. He had enough.

"You're both right." He looked at Ellie, "You are not my daughter, and I sure as hell ain't your dad."

He then looked at Devyn, "And you, we had our run, but we are goin' our separate ways."

Devyn glared at him and shook her head as she pushed passed him, walking out and passed Tommy before she went downstairs.

Joel watched her and sighed as he turned back at Ellie who just walked out as well.

He messed up, and might not be able to take it back.

Tommy looked at Joel with concern. "You okay?"

Joel looked at him. "I think we should go."

Tommy nodded and walked out with him. They left the house, got on the horses and rode off to go back. Devyn got on Ellie's horse and left enough room for her on the back.

As they went back, they stopped at a cliff to have an overlook of the plant and the small civilization Tommy built up. All the lights were lit and it just looked like home.

"Look at that.." Devyn spoke as she stared at the view.

"Yeah. Kids will be watchin' movies tonight." Tommy said with a smile.

Joel looked over at Tommy. "Where is this lab of theirs?"

"It's all the way at the University Eastern Colorado."

"Go Big Horns." Joel smiled.

He looked back at Devyn and Ellie, "Go ahead and give the horse back to Tommy. I'll think hang onto this fella." He pat the horse "Go on, don't make me repeat myself."

They both nodded and got off and Ellie took the horse back to Tommy.

"Sorry I stole your horse."

"What are you doin'?" Tommy asked Joel.

"Your wife kinda scares me. I don't want her comin' after me."

"Come back to town and we'll discuss it at least."

Joel helped Devyn and Ellie up on the horse and he chuckled. "You know me, my mind is made up." 

Devyn smiled at Joel as she looked at Ellie, who also had a small smile.

"University of Eastern Colorado. How do I find this lab?"

"It's in the science building. Looks like a big mirror, you can't miss it."

Joel nodded and looked him, "You take care of that wife of yours,"

"There's a.. a place here for ya'll you know."

He nods and glanced at the girls "Ya'll good?"

They both nodded. "Yeah, we're good." Devyn said.

Joel looked at Tommy for one final time, "See ya' around little brother"

He led the horse around and rode off on the path, leaving Tommy behind.

Devyn looked up at the trees and at the sunset, enjoying the view as she looked down at her bandage that was peeking out. She fixed her sleeve and let out a soft sigh.

Ellie glanced back at her, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay Ells." She smiled.

"Okay,"

Devyn relaxed and thought to reassure herself, 'I'm okay'