Chapter 2

SUMMER

-Twenty years later, present day-

Devyn jolted awake from her sleep, drenched in sweat from her nightmare of what happened years ago.

It ended the same, every time. She would pull the trigger, and wake up.

She groaned and rubbed her tired face, then ran her hand through her messy hair.

"Well shit.." She mumbled and stood up, stretching and looking outside of the broken hotel window. The sun was barely coming up, and a light sigh came from her.

She turned and started to pack up all of her things she had with her, and left the abandoned hotel room.

She headed outside to breathe in what the fresh air had to offer. "Ah" She exhaled.

She fixed her sleeves and started walking towards the bridge.

She was now 32 years old, although she appeared to look like she was in her early 20s. Her clothes were ripped and tattered, but still decent.

She had a black tank top, ripped jeans, brown boots, and red flannel buttoned up far enough to hide her 20 year old bite she had gotten when she was younger.

Yes, the bite was 20 years old. They say it would take two days to turn into the infected, but, it never happened to her, and she never knew why.

Although she did almost get killed for being caught with it seen.

She had been running her whole life, to look for more people like her. No luck came around, but she's still determined.

As she walked through the abandoned buildings, she heard the voices of hunters nearby and decided to get her rifle out.

She made her way around to a clear spot and to not get seen. The sound of gunshots filled her ears and the sound of a man and girl's voices as they ran through.

She peeked her head over to see that they were cornered. She didn't wanna get involved, but she also didn't wanna feel guilty.

Leaping into action she bolted over to the scene and helped kill the hunters surrounding them. She killed off the last one and looked at the two strangers.

The man looked strangely familiar to her, he looked to be in his mid 40s, and the girl who was with him looked about 14 or 15.

The girl looked at her and spoke up with a smile "Man, thanks a lot. That was close. I uh, I'm Ellie." She held her hand out to her, she quickly took it and knocked her down to her knees.

"Hey! Get off her!" The man yelled and Devyn pointed the gun at him

"On your knees, now!"

He put his hands up and did so. "Look, we're on your side alright, we're not hunters"

"Shut up. Who are you? Are you infected? Huh?"

"What? Is this girl fucking crazy?" Ellie spoke

"Ellie, shut it. Let me talk" the man looked at Devyn "Just put the gun down.. alright?"

"Not until you show me your clean."

"Alright.. alright." He stood and helped up Ellie. They both showed that they seemed clean but Ellie kept her sleeves down, and Devyn lowered her gun.

"Hm.. now, answer my other question. Who are you guys?"

"Joel." The man spoke in his texan accent. "And this is Ellie. We're just passin' through."

Devyn stared at Joel, with disbelief in her expression. "Joel.. I.. I've heard that name, and you.. seem familiar to me.."

Joel furrowed his brows in confusion and denied kindly. "Sorry miss, I'm afraid I don't know you, I've never-" He stopped, taking a long look into her faded green eyes that hid behind her dark brown bangs.

He noticed that they were the same eyes of the scared little girl he had met many years ago the night the outbreak started, and that she had grown into a strong independent woman. 

"That girl, was you?" 

Devyn couldn't help but smirk. "That was me. Let me tell ya', I've been through shit, but I recognize a familiar face when I see one." 

Ellie looked at both of them confused and she cleared her throat. "Um, hello? I'm still here you know."

Joel snapped out of it and looked over at Ellie, "Right uh, what's your name miss?"

"Devyn. Devyn Collins. Now, I'm gonna ask, what the hell is a grown ass man and a teenage girl are doing around here?"

"Well we could ask you the same thing, without the insults I mean. Thanks a lot." Ellie sassed her and Joel gave her a look.

"Enough" He growled

"This happened to be my domain for a while before those damn hunters took over. They've been on my tracks for a month, and I've been meaning to leave for a while, but never got around to it."

"Wait so you've been hiding here for a month? And they never found you?" Joel asked

Devyn chuckled "I have my ways of hiding old man." Her smile faded slightly and she crossed her arms. "Plus, I never left, even if I wanted to. Didn't wanna risk my life."

"Yeah, I know how that is. What are you traveling for?" 

"It's complicated. I'd hate to go into detail but, I'm looking for the Fireflies. What about you guys?"

Joel stopped and looked at her "We are too. It's for a classified reason but, we have a feeling we'll have luck finding at least one."

Just then Devyn heard the sound of trucks outside the gate. She pulled out her gun and looked at the two. "Fuck.. we gotta go. Now."

Joel nodded and quickly had Ellie follow Devyn into a building as he followed behind them. They ran through the city, shooting the hunters and making it across the gate, finally getting to a safe spot.

Out of breath and exhaustion running through her body, Devyn sat down and ran her hand through her hair. 

"Shit, that was close." Ellie said as she sat down as well.

"A little too close if you ask me. We barely made it out." Joel spoke up and looked out the window. "So, where's the easiest way to get to the bridge from here?"

"Well, if you keep heading down that alleyway, you'll make it through some houses and other gates, you should get there with no problem." Devyn explained and handed him a map. "An easier explanation just in case." She smiled slightly.

"Thanks. It was um, nice meeting you finally Devyn."

"You too Joel. You guys be careful okay?"

Ellie stepped in between the two. "Alright, stop. Why can't she just come with us?"

Devyn looked shocked, but not as much as Joel.

"Excuse me?"