Chapter 14

-Previously-

Both Ellie and Joel knew that Devyn was in critical condition, but they also knew to stay strong for her.

'She'll make it..' Joel thought to himself.

'She has to.'

-----------------------------------

WINTER

A few days went by and Joel sent Ellie out to go get supplies while he stayed and watched Devyn. Ellie agreed and quickly ran out to get food, weapons, clothes and such. 

The weather got colder and heavier each day, and Joel hoped and prayed that Devyn would make it and heal quicker. He was afraid of his nightmare coming true that he would lose her or if she would turn into one of those.. things, even if he knew she couldn't turn.

Ellie returned and brought back blankets, food, and medical supplies from the outside. Joel grabbed the medical kit and started taking care of Devyn's wound. He lifted her shirt up and saw that the bleeding hadn't stopped. He sighed and shook her awake as she groaned.

"Alright baby, I'm gonna turn you on your side okay.." He said softly and rubbed her arm.

Devyn groaned again and whimpered as Joel turned her on her side and applied some medicine on the wound that was stitched up not too long ago.

"There we go.. we'll have to take out the stitches soon, we don't want them being embedded in there."

"Great.." Devyn mumbled

Ellie held the cloth and waited for Joel to finish. As soon as he did he took it back and taped the cloth back on, pulling her shirt down and gently rolled her back over as her breath came out in huffs of fog from the cold.

Joel pulled a blanket over her and himself as Ellie sat down on Devyn's other side again and snuggled close to her to keep her warm.

"Joel.. do you want me to go out and find a little more food? We're kinda short." Ellie asked

"You just got back, are you sure you wanna go again?"

"I don't mind it. I'll be quick and fast"

"Alright, go on. Don't be long okay?"

Ellie stood up and grabbed her bag and bow and arrow. "I won't. I'll be back." She headed out the door and left to the woods with the horse.

Joel kept Devyn close to him and felt his heart break each second he spent with her, knowing that she was in excruciating pain and he could barely do anything about it. 

He started having doubt and was afraid of losing her, knowing that she could slip away at any time. He wasn't going to take any chances, so his next priority was to get her to a hospital. 

After a while, it was taking Ellie a long time to get back and Joel was getting worried. He looked at Devyn and kissed her lips softly, "I won't be long, I'm gonna go find Ellie, and we'll be back soon.."

He stood up and grabbed his things and glanced back at her, "I love you" He said and left to go find Ellie.

Minutes turned into hours, and within those hours, Devyn finally woke up and as she did she felt her head pounding heavily. She looked around the room and yelped in pain as she sat up. She was alone, and saw no sign of Joel and Ellie around.

  "Joel? Ellie?" She called out "Anyone?"

She sighed and stood up weakly and grabbed her backpack as she headed outside and was greeted by the cold weather. 

She cursed and held her stomach, "Goddamn winter.. fucking decided to come early huh.."

She walked around the small town and saw footprints, debating to guess if they were Joel's or Ellie's, she took precaution and followed them as she took her rifle out. She was right not to second guess and ended up dealing with some idiot hunters. 

After taking care of most of them, she scanned the area for other people and ended up finding two more that she beat down and tied up to a porch. 

"Where the hell are they?"

"We ain't tellin' you bitch."

She sighed "I don't fucking have time for this." She shot both of them and left them there.

She continued out through the cold blizzard, holding her stitching together as best as she could, but still had to stop at some points because of the pain. As she walked through the streets, and was caught off guard and was caught by the head. 

"Hey there cutie, we just wanna play a little." 

"Agh! Let go!" She screamed.

One of the guys walked towards Devyn with a knife in his hand, and kneeled down to her and cut her tanktop open, but in return she gave him a hard kick in groin and hit the guy behind her with the back of her head on his chin and elbowed him hard in the stomach.

She stood up and held her side as she shot both of them, "Serves you right assholes.."

She held her shirt together, and thought that she could use her body as an advantage to get answers. She smirked and grabbed two men from the street and took them inside an abandoned house, binding one of them to a chair and the other tied up and against the wall. 

Devyn grabbed her knife and pulled over another chair and sat down in front of one of the men. Her shirt was open but she was still mainly covered.

"Alright, let's see if I get anything from you." She said as she held a knife in her hand. 

"Well if you want somethin' I'll be glad to give you pleasure babe"

Devyn shook her head and shot a glare at him "Have you seen a male and a young girl around here by any chance?"

"Besides seeing a beautiful woman like you in front of me, can't say that I have."

She sighed and leaned forward, "Look, I don't have time for your perverted games. Where the fuck did they go?"

The man chuckled and leaned his face close to hers, "I'll tell you, if you untie me and we get a room, make it nice and warm and-- GAAHH!"

Devyn heard enough and stabbed the knife into his knee, giving it a couple twists as he screamed in pain. She pulled down her sleeve to reveal her bite to him.

She kept the knife in there and glared at him again. "I don't think you wanna mess with an infected girl alright? Tell me now, or I'll pop your goddamn knee off."

"Fuck you!"

She pulled the knife back, and his knee started cracking.

"I'm going to ask you one more time, and if you don't answer, you won't see the light of day again." 

The other man spoke up in fear, "W-we saw them, they went North. The girl is being held captive there. She's David's newest pet. The guy went to go get her."

She pulled out the knife and put the handle in his mouth, grabbing a small map and holding it up.

"Mark it. And it better be the right location that your buddy over there says it is.."

The man marked the spot and Devyn took the knife back.

"There.. now please, let us go-"

Devyn stood up and wrapped her arm around his neck and snapped it, making him fall back. She walked over to the other man as she pulled out her gun. He shook and tried to move away.

"Let me go.. please I swear it's right.."

Devyn shrugged and nodded. "I know. I believe you." She raised her gun and shot him, turning around and exited the house as she took off running towards the location that was marked. 

Devyn cursed as the blizzard blew through the area and continued walking after a while, holding her stomach after she buttoned up her jacket.

"Dammit Joel.. where are you?"