Chapter 15

-Previously-

"Dammit Joel... where are you?"

--------------------------------

As Joel walked through the streets, he saw a building that was on fire and panic rose in his chest.

"Oh shit.. Ellie." He cursed and started running towards he building.

Ellie groaned and woke up from being unconscious as the smell of smoke lingered in her nose. She turned her head to see David, the man who had kidnapped her, was still in the process of waking up. 

She turned over and saw his machete underneath a booth, and started crawling towards it. Once she got closer, she felt a hard kick in the side and she collapsed as she groaned.

"ah.."

"I knew you had heart." David said as he held his shoulder, "Y'know it's okay to give up, ain't no shame in it."

Ellie ignored him and continued to crawl. David chuckled and shook his head.

"I guess not. Just not your style is it?" He kicked Ellie as she winced in pain and he got down on top of her, pinning her head down.

"You can try beggin'"

"Fuck you.."

He flipped her over and had his hands around her neck as she struggled to get out of his grip.

"You think you know me? Huh? Well let me tell you somethin'," 

As he talked, Ellie reached her arm up to try and look for the handle of the machete and she could barely keep her eyes open.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of."

Ellie finally grabbed the handle and swung it over with a grunt and hit him in the arm as he fell over and yelled in pain. She got up quickly and got on top of him, as he looked at her in fear.

"Wait- aahh!" David screamed and Ellie started stabbing and hitting him with the blade over and over again as strings of blood flew up with every movement she made. Tears ran down her cheeks as she continued and she barely heard her name being called.

"Ellie!" Joel ran over and quickly grabbed her around her waist and pulled her off.

"Stop. Stop."

"NO!" Ellie screamed and tried to get away not knowing it was him for a moment. "Don't fucking touch me!"

"Sshh, sshh.. It's okay."

"No-"

Joel took her face in his hands and looked at her "It's me. It's me.."

"He tried to-"

Joel pulled her close and held her tightly, "Oh baby girl.."

Ellie cried against his chest "Joel.."

"Sshh.. it's okay now"

Meanwhile, Devyn went into the town and saw the burning building, hearing shouts and then silence. She quickly sprinted inside and saw Joel hugging Ellie close to him as she sobbed in his chest. She smiled in relief to see that they were safe and after catching her breath, she walked in holding her side. 

Devyn walked towards them as her side hurt even more, and stopped a few feet from them. Ellie's head lifted up as she saw her standing and her eyes lit up as she pulled away from the hug. Joel turned his head to see what she was looking at, and his eyes filled up with tears as he saw Devyn there, awake and holding her side.

"Devyn.."

They both stood up as she nodded and smiled weakly and leaned against a booth.

"You ain't gettin' rid of me that easily, I hope you know that." She chuckled "and next time you go somewhere leave a- mmh!"

Devyn was cut off by Joel's lips pressed against hers and his hands held her face as she placed her hands on his hips. He pulled back from the kiss and smiled softly, inhaling air and leaned his forehead against hers.

"I thought you were never goin' to wake up."

Devyn smiled and held him close to her. "There is nothing that will ever take me away from you, I promise Joel."

He chuckled and kissed the side of her head and Devyn looked at Ellie with a sad smiled, seeing that she had tears rolling down her face.

"Oh Ellie.. c'mere" She held her arms open and she ran over to her, hugging her tightly.

"You scared the living shit out of me! We thought you were going to leave us.. you never woke up.."

Devyn hugged her back, rubbing her back and ignoring the pain aching from her side.

"You're both stuck with me Ellie, whether you like it or not. You can't get rid of me even if you wanted to."  

"Well I don't want to. I love you too much.. mom."

Devyn pulled back from the hug and looked down at Ellie with confusion. "Wait.. mom?"

She nodded and looked away, "You've always been like a mom to me.. I hope.. that's okay"

She smiled and brushed her hair away from her face. "Of course it is sweetheart. I couldn't ask for a better daughter." She kissed the top of her head.

Joel put his hand on Devyn's back and looked at both of them. "Come on you two, let's get out of here."

They both nodded and all of them left he building to burn to the ground, as David's body was left there to burn with it.

-------------------------

They traveled out quite a ways and finally stopped when Devyn was feeling more pain again. She collapsed on the ground and held her side as she breathed harshly.

Joel sat her up and ran a hand through her hair.

"I'm okay.. I'm okay.." She mumbled and took deep breaths.

"I know you are, but you need to rest a minute okay?"

"No, we gotta keep walking.. I can do this"

"Mom.. you can't strain yourself" Ellie kneeled beside her.

Devyn looked at the both of them and gave up. "Alright.. then at least get us somewhere safe."

Joel nodded and picked her up on his back and they walked further, finding somewhere to stay for the night.