Chapter 6

-Previously-

 "I know him." The gate opened and a man that was younger than Joel stepped out with a rifle in his hand. "He's my goddamn brother."  

--------------------------------------

Joel stared at his brother in shock and finally spoke up. "Tommy."

Tommy walked over and hugged Joel for the first time in years and Joel hugged back as he smiled.

"How you doin baby brother?" Joel said

"Let me look at you." Tommy pulled away to take a good look at his older brother's face and chuckled. "You're fuckin' old"

Joel chuckled and nodded "Same thing's gonna happen to you too in a few years"

Devyn stepped out from behind Joel and stood beside him, staying quiet to not ruin the moment.

"Sorry about that, this is Maria. She mainly runs things around here, so try to be nice." Tommy explained.

Joel turned his head to Maria "Ma'am, thanks for not uh, blowin' my head off."

Maria chuckled as she lowered her rifle down. "well, considering you're my brother-in-law, it would've been a little embarrassing."

Joel looked between Tommy and Maria and Tommy smiled a bit. "We all gotta get hitched up at some point, right?"

Maria turned her attention to Devyn and Ellie, seeing that they were both quiet. She looked at Ellie first. "Your name is Ellie right?"

"Yeah, that's me" She nodded.

Maria then looked at Devyn, seeing that she was a little nervous from her arm rubbing. "And you are?"

"I.. I'm um.." Devyn stuttered a bit from the nervous reaction and Joel stepped in for her. 

"Devyn. She's been taggin' along with us for a while. She's been some great company."

"I see now. Good to meet you." Maria smile then went back to Ellie. "What brings you all through here?"

"Uh, long story, and a lot to explain. We're all just exhausted."

Tommy placed his hand on Maria's shoulder "Let's bring em' inside then if that's the case, yea?"

Maria nodded "Yeah. You guys hungry?"

Devyn and Ellie exchanged looks and they both nodded

"Starving."

They were all led in and Tommy closed the gate behind them.

"False alarm! They're all friendlies" Maria called out to her crew.

Tommy and Maria showed them around the place and as they went inside, Maria got a call on a walkie for some help, but turned the job to Tommy. Joel was gonna tag along and that alarmed the girls a bit.

"Joel.." Ellie looked at him.

"You're not coming?" Devyn asked him

"Come on you two, give the boys some space." Maria said and the guys left the room as Devyn and Ellie followed Maria.

Tommy led Joel through where the rooms were and explained to him how everything was going, and mentioned that he had something for him.

"Last year I went back home, and I found this while I was there." He handed him an old photo of him and Sarah that was a bit faded but still looked decent.

"Still looks good after all these years."

Joel sighed as he stared at the photo and held it back out to Tommy. "I'm good.."

"You sure?"

He nodded "Yeah."

"Well, I'll hold onto it for you then."

"Tommy I..-" Joel started, "I really need to talk to you in private."

Tommy looked at him and nodded. "Sure, okay. Let me take care of the guys real quick, then we'll talk." He said and walked out as Joel followed.

After the turbine was taken care of, Tommy and Joel went into his office to talk. They both sat down and leaned back.

"You got a pretty good crew here, they seem like men you can trust." Joel commented.

"Thanks. This place gives them a second chance. Gives all these families a second chance." Tommy smiled, and it soon faded as he looked at Joel.

"So, Devyn, is she just a friend? Or are you and her a little item?" Tommy asked and Joel was taken aback.

"What? No no, she's just a friend.. I guess. She helped me and Ellie back in Pittsburgh a few months ago, and she decided to tag along."

"Ah," Tommy nodded "She seems like a shy one. How old is she? Early twenties?"

Joel huffed a bit at his brother "Not close, more like early thirties. Still young, but hell let me tell ya' she is a tough one."

"Really now? She seems like it. She seems like the nervous type too, she always like that?"

"Well," Joel rubbed his neck "She has some anxiety problems I assume. She only does that when she gets overwhelmed."

Tommy couldn't help but smirk, "You seem to be paying close attention. You sure you two ain't got somethin'?"

Joel rolled his eyes "Tommy, we're just friends. She's been through a lot, about the same as we have. I gotta cut her some slack."

Tommy nodded and chuckled "Alright alright, but when ya'll leave, I bet you two will hit it off, just sayin' big brother"

"Well, not that I'm sayin' it'll happen but, she seems like her own person. She likes being an individual, I don't think she would be in a relationship."

"What's she like underneath that shell of hers then? She's gotta have some kind of personality."

Joel gave it some thought "Well, she's kind, caring, got a bit of humor," He smiled "Her eyes are just gorgeous, and.. she makes me feel, normal again."

Tommy smiled "Glad you feel that way. I'm sure she's a good girl. She'll open up to me and Maria sooner or later."

Joel nodded "Yeah. Yeah I'm sure she will."

"So, aside from that, what really brings you here?" Tommy asked as he rested his feet on the desk.

"Well, I've been on a long adventure."

"I reckon it's got somethin' to do with that other girl of yours?"

"It's got everything to do with that little girl, and even Devyn's got somethin' to do with it."

"Well, go on then."

Joel proceeded to explain to Tommy what he's been through, what Ellie's life means, and what his favor consists of.

"If you and your boys deliver her and Devyn to the Fireflies, you can collect the whole down payment."

Tommy shook his head "What makes you think I'd do this for you?"

"This isn't for me Tommy, this is for your damn cause."

Tommy sat in silence for a moment, and sighed. "You want some gear? Sure, but I ain't takin those girls off your hands." He stood up and headed for the door.

Joel stood up and pushed Tommy back, growling through his teeth as he looked him straight in the eyes "I bring you the cure for mankind and you wanna play the pissy little brother?"

Tommy glared at him "We ain't back in Boston. You lay your hands on me again and it won't end well for you."

Before Joel could say anything, he heard sirens go off outside. "what the hell is that?"

Tommy quickly moved to grab his rifle, "We're under attack."