Chapter 20

-Previously-

This is what they wanted, was to start a new life as a family. A new beginning to start over.

And they had each other to look after, and to fight for. That's all they need.

-----------------------------

Months went by and Ellie, Joel, and Devyn built a new life in a home in the town. Ellie was being home-schooled, Joel was working at the plant with Tommy, and Devyn.. well, she was dealing with her pregnancy.

She was seven months along and felt like she was still completely capable of working, but Joel was too worried about her getting hurt. 

She felt.. helpless. Like a fragile doll that constantly had to be watched so it wouldn't fall over and break.

She loved the idea of her and Joel having a kid together, but she hated it too. She hated being inside all the time and not being up doing things. She grew up traveling and always being active, but because of the baby, she was stuck in bed most of the time.

Joel came home, exhausted and worn out, but as soon as he walked in the living room, he saw Devyn relaxing on the couch, humming a tune as she rubbed her belly and Ellie read her comic on the floor.

Ellie looked up and saw Joel in the door way as she smiled and sat up. "Hey, you're home."

Devyn stopped and looked over at him and smiled, "Hey you,"

"You two look like you've had a busy day." 

"I guess so. Not much happened, but little baby here kept kicking and wouldn't let me nap."

He chuckled and went over to sit by her, giving her belly a kiss and started talking to it. 

"Hi baby, did you keep your momma awake today?"

Ellie smiled as she watched and went over to them. Devyn chuckled as she watched him and she ran her hand through his hair.

"C'mon, let me feel a kick," Joel said and felt a tiny kick on his hand that was placed on her stomach.

"Oh man.." Devyn groaned a bit and Joel looked at her.

"You okay?"

"Yeah yeah, it's just been hurting a bit when the baby kicks. It feels kinda tight."

"Well, you got a long ways to go still, just bare with it until then okay?"

She nodded and Ellie stood on her knees. "Can I feel?"

Devyn nodded and pulled her hand to feel, and there was a small kick.

"Wow.. that's so cool"

"And soon you'll be holding him or her in your arms."

"Yeah, and I'm excited"

"Me too, and I'll make sure we all stay safe." Joel smiled.

This was his family, his whole life, the light that had finally shined through to him in years. This made him truly happy again, and it all reminded him of his times with Sarah, and he wanted to keep them safe this time.

He had something big planned for Devyn, but he didn't wanna reveal it till after the baby was born. He wanted to wait for the perfect time.

"So, how about I cook us up some dinner hm?" He stood up.

Devyn and Ellie nodded, "Yes please,"

He smiled and went into the kitchen and prepared dinner. Ellie sat by Devyn and laid her head on her shoulder.