Chapter 17

-Previously- 

"Come on lovebirds!" Ellie said back to them as she walked ahead.

Joel and Devyn chuckled and exchanged smiles, then quickly caught up with her.

------------------------------

After about a day or so, they finally reached the entrance sign to Salt Lake, and as Joel and Devyn tried to get Ellie's attention, she was distracted by her thoughts as she stared at a deer engraved in the cement wall.

"Ellie!" Joel called out to her and that finally caught her.

She turned around to look at them, and saw that Devyn looked concerned.

"Did you hear us?" She asked 

"No. What?"

"Look," Joel pointed to the sign that led to the hospital. "Hospital, this is where we get off. Let's go kiddo."

Ellie nodded and followed them as Devyn rubbed her shoulder.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah mom, I'm good."

"I'm worried you know.. you can talk to me if something is bothering you."

"I know, but I'm fine. I promise."

"Alright.." Devyn sighed and continued to walk.

They all felt the slight breeze and Joel smiled, "Heh, you two feel that breeze? I tell you, on a day like this, I'd just sit on my porch, picking away at my six-string."

Devyn smiled as she held his hand while they walked.

"I didn't know you played guitar, although I should've guess since you're a Texas guy."

He chuckled and looked at Ellie, "You know once we're done with this whole thing, I'm gonna teach you how to play guitar"

"I think you would like it Ells," Devyn agreed

"Whaddya say, huh?"

Ellie was silent as she walked beside them and Joel looked at her.

"Ellie, I'm talkin' to you"

Her head went up, "Huh? Oh yeah, sure. That sounds great."

Joel nodded and rubbed the back of his head. They walked more and he saw the hospital more clearly and Devyn saw it too.

"Wow, look at that."

"Yeah, there's that hospital the Firefly mentioned. Come on you two." He jumped down and the girls followed behind him.

-Timeskip to the river-

Jumping from bus to car was easy for a while, until the bus doors broke. Joel slid in the Ellie fell into the water as Devyn jumped in and swam towards Joel, waving to him to follow as she grabbed Ellie.

Devyn pulled her out with and Joel followed as she looked down at Ellie to see that she wasn't breathing. 

"Fuck.." She cursed and teared up as she began performing CPR, and patrol guards came over to them, pointing guns at their heads. 

"Hands in the air!"

"She's not breathing." Devyn said in a quiet voice as she continued to pump Ellie's chest to get air in her.

"I said, hands in the fucking air!"

"Dammit didn't you hear her!" Joel snapped at them as he pulled his gun out.

One of the guards slammed the back of their guns against Devyn's head, knocking her out cold and the same thing happened to Joel. 

Joel's eyes opened as he looked around a random room he was in, slowly sitting up and rubbed his head as he looked over to see Marlene sitting in a chair, but saw no sign of Devyn. 

"Joel,"

"Marlene."

"Good to see that you are in one piece. Sorry about the.. to you and the other girl. They didn't know who you were."

Joel nodded and sat up, "And Ellie and Devyn?"

"Ellie's alright. They brought her back. And.. Devyn you say? She your girl?"

He nodded, "Yeah, she is. Guess me dying alone kind of went to waste."

She chuckled and shook her head, "You came all this way. How'd you do it?"

"It was her.. both of them actually. They fought like hell to get here, maybe it was meant to be."

"You know, we find you just in time to save her, so maybe it was."

Joel stood up weakly, "Take me to them"

"You don't have to worry about them anymore. We saw what happened to Devyn as well, and that she and Ellie were the same. We'll take care of-"

"I worry.. just let me see them. Please."

"You can't. Ellie's being prepped for surgery and Devyn is asleep in another room."

"The hell you mean surgery?"

"The cordyceps in their brains have somehow mutated. That's why they're both immune."

Joel froze, "But.. it grows all over the brain."

"It does."

He started walking towards her "Listen. You are gonna show me where-" He groaned as the soldier knocked him down to his knees.

After a few minutes of arguing with Marlene, she told the patrol to get Joel out.

"Get up."

Joel sighed and stood up as he walked towards the door.

"Move." The soldier said as he pushed him. "Give me an excuse."

"Which way?" Joel asked and the soldier pointed to the way he needed to go. As they walked he stopped and launched at him, knocking the gun out of his hands by pinning him against the wall.

"Tell me where the operating room is" Joel growled and shot the guy in the stomach.

"Where!" He got no answer "I don't have time for this" He shot him again.

"Top floor.... far end..." The soldier gasped out and Joel dropped him as he fell over after a gun shot went through his head from behind Joel.

"Nobody... points a gun at him." Devyn said out of breath.

Joel turned around and saw her as he rushed to her after grabbing his bag and took her hand and headed out the door. 

"Hey.. you okay?" Joel asked her

"I'm fine, let's just find Ellie and get the hell out of here."

After getting passed the patrol, they came across a voice recorder of Marlene's voice that made Devyn break and snap the device in half to pieces. She was furious, and she was going to kill her. 

Once Devyn and Joel approached the room where Ellie was being held, Joel kicked the door open and held a gun to the doctor's head as Devyn teared up when she saw Ellie.

Devyn pulled out her gun as well and held it up to them, "Give me my daughter.."

"What are you doing in here?" The doctor pulled out his scalpel, "I won't let you take her.. think of all the lives we'll-"

"I don't wanna hear any of your goddamn excuses!"

Devyn's hand was shaking and her finger rubbed the trigger as she walked closer to Ellie, and Joel followed behind her.

"Don't come any closer-" Joel pulled the trigger and killed the doctor before he finished his sentence, then Devyn shot to nurse after getting sick of her screaming. 

Joel picked up Ellie as both him and Devyn quickly ran out and made it into the elevator.