Chapter 16

A/N|| *WARNING* Sexual content in this chapter. And also.. it may be cringy, so I may not make it so descriptive due to my sake and your sake. Hope you enjoy!

Spring

As Devyn healed each day and got her strength back along with getting her stitches removed, they traveled miles through the cold and rain as winter fell into spring. Once the weather started getting warmer, they all had a change of clothes to be more comfortable. 

Devyn noticed that Ellie seemed a bit more distracted on some days. She was curious to ask, but soon she put all the pieces together as of why she was. It might have been from the trauma she had experienced. 

She never wanted her to go through something like that, and she felt guilty for not helping and trying to keep her safe, but it all happened and they can't change it.

They all decided to stop and take a break for a few hours as they were coming closer to Salt Lake City. It took months and many many days to get this far, and they were finally getting closer to the hospital.

They took shelter in a cabin and set up a small fire to cook up some food. Devyn sat down after taking her jacket off and lifted her shirt to check her scar. It was still in the process of healing, but the scar was still very dark. 

Joel looked over at her and sighed as he went to her and pulled her shirt down. Devyn looked at him confused as he took her hand in his.

"Devyn, it's fine. You just checked it a few hours ago."

"I know, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't torn or anything.."

"If it was you would feel it. Now no more messin' with it"

She sighed and nodded "Sorry, I have a bad habit of that.."

Joel chuckled and Ellie pulled out a comic from her bag and headed to one of the other rooms to read. Devyn watched her and spoke up.

"Ellie, you okay hun?" She asked concerned.

Ellie looked back at her and nodded with a half smile "Yeah, I'm good. I'm just gonna read for a bit."

"Okay.. we'll call you when the food is ready"

"Okay" And with that she wandered off to read and Devyn let out a sigh.

Joel glanced at Ellie as she left, then looked at Devyn, "You noticed too?"

"Yeah. You can't blame her though, she's been through a lot. She just needs comforting is all."

"I know, I'm just worried she won't have her guard up when we come across hunters or even infected."

Devyn looked at Joel and couldn't believe what he just said. 

"Joel, you know that she is always prepared to take on any fight there is. She's not letting her guard down"

Joel looked at her, taken aback at her sudden snap. "Devyn, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just worried that she'll get hurt. I know she can take care of herself, I just get worried." 

He stood up and went over to sit by her and took her hand. "I see her as my daughter too, and I want her to be safe."

"I know.." Devyn looked down at their hands. "Sorry, I guess I'm just stressed and nervous that we're getting close to finding the Fireflies."

"I understand, but.." Joel lifted her chin, "It'll all be okay." He smiled and kissed her, and her arms wrapped around his neck as she kissed back.

Joel pulled her body close to his, and his hands found their way to the hem of her shirt and she pulled away a little.

"It's okay.."