Chapter 10

The Kingdom of Hell
Azazel's POV

After spending time with Raziel these few days, I was reminded of why I am a demon. I heard about his wife's cheating and, instead of consoling him, I felt happy! What kind of friend would do that?! And, even after all this time, I still longed to be near him.

Glancing at Raziel, I admired his amazed look as he watched the city. "Wow... It's almost as glorious in Heaven."

"Almost?"

Raziel turned, giving a small shrug. "In a 'everyone here is a sinning devil' kind of way."

I chuckled, and Raziel smiled, looking pleased. He turned back, sighing down at the city. My chest clenched when I watched his form, pure and graceful against the dark, evil landscape. He didn't belong here. And it was only a matter of time before he leaves and returns to Heaven.

"-zel... Azazel?" I snapped back and turned to a worried Raziel. "You okay?"

I nodded. "Yes, I'm fine."

He still looked worried, but didn't press further. I was grateful for that.

"By the way," he said quietly. "How's the new soul you took in? The one we argued for?"

"He's our newest demon, still learning the ropes."

Nodding, he slumped down. "I feel kinda bad. I mean, shouldn't I have fought harder to give him the chance to be an angel?"

I shrugged. "Not something you should ask a demon."

He blushed, and my heart skipped a beat. "Oh... Right... What is it like? Being a demon?"

"About the same as an angel, really. Serve your leader, take care of the newest additions, watch over the souls; not much of a difference besides the name and personality of the ruler, and the location. Of course, we were also lucky enough to get the ever screaming souls of the damned."

Raziel hesitated, as if he wasn't sure whether it was a joke or not. "Though, we are not as lucky as you are, since you get to have the blinding light of God that's always judging you. Our leader just shares his opinions instead of burning you to death," I added with a small smile.

His form relaxed a little, but not all the way. "Hey, I know you're a demon, but don't underestimate the power of God."  He sounded a bit... Upset.

Recoiling, I nodded quietly and turned away. "I'm... going to head back inside."

Raziel looked upset, but nodded anyway. When I left, I saw him slump over, running his hand through his hair. I suppose I shouldn't have said that. Leave it to my demon self to ruin the relationship my human self had worked so hard to maintain. "You seem upset."

A voice startled me from my thoughts. Lucifer leaned over me, looking mildly amused. "... So?" I asked, regaining my composure.

Lucifer shrugged. "It's just... You never look upset. You never look anything, really."

He's right. Before, even if I was bothered, I never showed it on my face. But now... I looked down, blushing. "Almost like you're in love."

My head shot up. "... What?"

Lucifer stepped back, looking quite pleased by my reaction. "I said, 'Almost like you're in love.' I mean, I should know." He glanced back at the castle, his eyes looking at the window that belonged to his and Micah's room, where the small male was no doubt sleeping, exhausted from their... nightly activities.

Coughing, I snapped Lucifer's attention back to me. He shrugged. "Anyway, I just thought I should tell you to watch your expression." He leaned in, smirking. "You're lucky I'm taken. Showing such a lovesick face in front of a demon won't end well."

With a final wave, he disappeared, leaving me with my thoughts. The thoughts I didn't want to face. I loved him once, and even now, without a doubt, I still love him. I love Raziel. But I can never let him know.