Chapter 11

The Kingdom of Hell
Raziel's POV

I slumped over, running my hands through my hair. Why did I have to say that? I made him uncomfortable. Just when he was finally opening up to me, I went and scolded him. He's a demon, what difference does it make to him if he says something bad about God? He insults his own leader all the time! I just... I'm not used to people saying such things so thoughtlessly. All angels are absurdly polite, never saying anything even remotely rude. 

Still, I watched Azazel scurry off, leaving me alone. I hated how different and distant we'd become. He couldn't even joke a little like we used to before I found it offensive, and I couldn't try to give him my feelings because he'd just hide in his shell. 

Despite all the problems, I'm not going to let him go. I stood up, rushing after Azazel. I stopped at the corner when I saw Lucifer lean close to Azazel, a smirk on his face. "You're lucky I'm taken. Showing such a lovesick face in front of a demon won't end well." I clenched my fist, annoyed by how close Lucifer was to Azazel. My Azazel. Finally, he pulled away and waved, walking off.  Azazel turned to watch him leave, and I caught a glimpse of his expression. 

And God help me was it the sexiest thing I'd ever seen.

His eyes - his gorgeous violet eyes - were wide and glistened with tears. His lips were parted, bright red from chewing on them. They looked soft and kissable. It took everything in me to avoid pulling him close. I only noticed recently, but he was definitely, noticeably thinner than he had been back on Earth. He would fit perfectly against me. His hand clutched his chest, and he looked down. 

I sighed at his expression, not wanting to let it go. Hoping to see it again, I turned back and peeked around the corner. Unfortunately, it was gone. The sexy look had melted away, replaced by the stone cold expression I hated so much. His beautiful eyes void of any emotions, the same way they'd been when we first met. It made my chest tighten. I didn't want to see him look so... Inhuman. It made the distance between us much more noticeable.

Finally, he noticed me. "... Raziel."

I smiled sheepishly. "Hey."

"I apologize for earlier. It was thoughtless and rude of me."

I frowned at his polite speech. No. Don't talk like that. "I accept your apology, but you don't have to talk like that. Just talk the same way you always do."

His gaze softened, but only for a second before his cold look returned. "Nonsense. You are our guest, and an angel. Being kind and polite will help you feel at home."

My hopes sank. Instead of nodding, I moved closer, until I could reach out and take his hand. He stared at our entwined hands before looking up, meeting my eyes. I swallowed. "Azazel, I lov-"

"The angel Raziel?"A voice startled us apart, and I turned to glare at Grim, who was leaning against his scythe. He held out his hands. "Hey, no need to be angry. I'm just here to deliver a message."

I frowned. "What message?" Could be so important that it had to interrupt my time with Azazel?

He turned his skull towards me, his empty eye sockets gleaming with amusement. "'For the angel Raziel, from God. He demands that his son returns to Heaven right after hearing this message."