Chapter 14

The Kingdom of Heaven
Raziel's POV

I slammed my fist against the wall for the hundredth time as I sighed. My eyes had now adjusted to the bright lights of Heaven, but I still longed for the darkness of Hell. God had told me to stay in Heaven until I was rid of my romantic emotions towards Azazel. But why? Why could I not see him? Did they really believe Demons could not love? 

Azazel... What was he doing right now? What was he thinking? Was he waiting for me? Or had he moved on to other things? I groaned. I had finally managed to gain his trust back. Why did it have to fall apart now? "Frustrated, I see?" 

A voice startled me, and I turned to see Grim leaning on his scythe, giving me an amused grin. I frowned. "What are you doing here? You are not allowed in without a proper invite!"

Grim tilted his head. "Angels... Too strict for their own good. You left the door open, so I invited myself in. Thought I'd give you a status update on Azazel."

Immediately, my attention was hooked. "How is he?!"

Grim tapped his chin. "He's... How do I say it? A complete wreck. He's been spacing out, breaking things, ruining work... Lucifer forced him to take a few days off. I haven't seen him since that happened, which was about three days ago."

My heart clenched painfully. Azazel... Grim sighed. "Why don't you just leave? Go see him?"

"God forbade me to do so."

"So? You're already breaking the rules with your devil lover. Why do you care? Are any of those weakling angels going to stop you?"

I opened and closed my mouth, staring at the Grimm Reaper. He did have a point. If I ignored the word of God, there was nothing stopping me. But... "You know, Azazel doesn't always listen to Lucifer."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Azazel is his right hand, yet there are times when Azazel ignores the king of Hell, who could potentially put him in a pit of continuous suffering without thinking twice. What do you think God would do if you didn't listen to him? Purify you?"

"Make me a demon."

"And would that be so bad? You'd get to be with Azazel. And last I checked, you didn't seem to find Hell all that bad."

Grim raised a non-existent eyebrow, as if this were common sense. It was, in a way, but disobeying God went against everything I was as an angel, everything that made me an angel. Could I really be willing to give up my place in Heaven? I thought for a moment. I thought of Azazel. Not just as a demon, but when we were human. I thought of his beautiful smile, I thought of how I loved his company. I thought of how my heart clenched when I saw his expression after I announced my engagement. 

Then I thought of the joy I felt getting to see him again. The way I loved seeing the blush on his cheeks, the way I loved pressing up against him to sleep at night... I thought of how much I love him. Turning to Grim, I put on a serious expression. "It wouldn't be so bad."

"Then go."

"I am." I'm coming, Azazel.