two

I wake up tangled up in my bed sheets and check the time. "Shit." I mumble to myself, not that I could hear, so it may have been a little louder than intended. It's 10 minutes later than when I usually get up, not that that really matters, as I don't straighten my hair anymore, so I don't need that time. 

I sit up, my feet firmly on the ground, which is easy, due to being so tall, and get up. Before doing anything, I make my bed. Keeping things neat has always been a coping mechanism. If everything else is perfect, then I only have one problem.

I walk downstairs, still in Pyjama bottoms that don't quite fit, as being tall makes it difficult to find things the right size. I'm greeted by the scent of freshly brewed coffee and what is undoubtedly pancakes once I reach the kitchen. Scent is a sense I definitely love, so that's a good thing. 

"You're awake!" My mum says with a smile, and I rub my eyes, taking a seat at the small dining table in the middle of the room, which already has two plates out, stacked with pancakes. One for my brother, who isn't up yet.

"Thank you," I say before cutting up what's in front of me, taking a bite. Being able to taste is amazing, especially with my mums cooking, so that's a plus. Would I give up being able to taste these pancakes for the ability to hear? Possibly, but then again, these are some good pancakes.

My older brother walks into the room, taking the seat opposite me, and then looking up at me. Before they start to ear, they sign to me.

"How long have you been up?" They sign. I find it easier to read signs than peoples lips, but only a handful of people know I'm deaf in the first place, so I do what I have to do. My mum doesn't sign, because she tried when I was younger, and just couldn't do anything but the basic stuff. Kaidan, however, sort of has a knack for it, and thus speaking to them is easiest.

"Not long," I say, returning to eating. 

I finish the pancakes and put my plate in the sink, then leaving the room and heading back upstairs into my room. I pull out some clothes, deciding on a black t-shirt, black jeans, and a black hoodie. I don't intend on looking so dark, but when you absorb light, the outfit is right, so it's okay.

I pull on some socks, followed by my shoes which are decorated with unconventional zippers. I pull the bag from beside my bed onto my back, quickly checking my hair in the mirror, then going downstairs, saying my goodbye's to my mum and Kaidan, my dad already at work, then leaving the house and heading to school.

It's not too warm outside, which is fortunate due to my outfit choice today as I'm not going to lie, wearing fully black when it's scorching outside is a bad decision, no matter how important my aesthetic is to me. I live semi-close to school, so walking never takes too long, meaning that I don't have to wake up as early as some of my friends, which I appreciate. Staying up until 2 am and waking up super early isn't a combination I desire.