three

The first lesson, which I share with Chris, ends, and we walk out to where we meet up with our friends. A wooden table and benches outside, as most people in the school stay inside, so it keeps us away. 

"So you and Pj, huh?" I ask, making sure to look at Chris when he answers.

"Yeah, I mean, he asked me, which was-" And then he stops, looking towards the bench.

When I turn, Connor is shouting, which I can tell because they open their mouths wider. I don't see what he says, but I just hope it's not important. I sit at the table where Connor, Louise, and Tyler are already sat, and take a seat beside Tyler, opposite Chris, as I'm guessing he'll want to sit beside Pj, and not me. That's fine.

Pj comes later, which I know, because I was, fortunately, looking in that direction. By his side is a boy quite a bit taller than him, probably around my height. His hair is a deep black shade, him wearing a collared shirt, a pair of thick, black, glasses resting on his nose.

"Hey!" I say with a wave.

"Hi, this is Phil, guys." He says to everyone, gesturing to the boy.

"Hi." He says, an embarrassed little wave of his right hand in addition, and his smile is bright and crooked, tongue sticking out partially. I find it oddly charming, everything about him, that is. Now I have another person to wonder what their voice sounds like.

Pj sits so that Chris is on one side, and Louise on the other, Louise opposite Connor. Basically, the only seat left is beside me of Chris. I pat next to me on the bench, and he takes up the offer, sitting down, pushing up his glasses and fixing his fringe awkwardly. It's uniquely attractive, and I could get used to it.

"I'm Dan," I say, extending a hand, turned to him.

"Phil." He says, shaking my hand with his.

"How come I've never seen you before?" I ask, genuinely wondering, as everyone knows if there's a new kid, so he can't be.

"I don't really talk to people, and kinda just sit at the back of the class, spending time sat in the library and stuff." He explains, that crooked smile coming back. "I guess Pj saw me and decided to introduce himself, so I have an actual friend." He says, laughing at the end, which I know, because of the way his chest moves, and he smiles with his mouth open.

"Well, you seem cool. Consider me your friend." I tell him, grinning, and his eyes flicker down to my mouth, most likely cause my dimples pop out when I smile hard enough, and I don't think I've smiled this much with someone before.

"Cool isn't exactly how I'd describe myself. I'm more of a nerdy emo who dresses weirdly. You, however, are what I'd describe as cool."

"No, you're wrong there. I, too, am a nerdy emo who dresses weirdly."

"I guess we have more in common than I expected. Not going to lie, I was a bit intimidated when I saw a guy dressed in full black sat here."

"I am not intimidating." I tell him, trying to emphasise the 'not', but I'm not sure exactly how well my attempt went.

"I know that now! I bet we have a lot in common, really."

"Same, well, I'm tall, like, 6'3."

"I am too."

"Also, crucial information," I begin, starting to laugh at myself. "I'm gay."

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm bi. Nobody else knows." He says, and I'm guessing he said it quietly. "Just thought I'd say; since we're saying what we have in common."

"That was brave," I say, trying to keep my voice down.

"Yeah, it was." 

He looks at me with that smile, his eyes meeting mine. He has these pretty blue globules, green swirls in there too, along with a few sort of yellow specs.