fourteen

I spot a familiar dark head of hair in front of me, the first lesson of the day having just finished, and I'm about to call his name, but I hesitate. I'm always scared of being too loud, as I've been told that I'm very loud and obnoxious. Instead, I run up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder, and he turns around.

I see him exhale heavily, and then he smiles. 

"Hi," He says, before looking down at his scuffed sneakers, kicking his feet against the ground.

Deciding that I would never be able to see what he was saying that way, I place a hand under his chin and lift his head up so that he's facing me. He fixes his glasses, which fell down slightly, smiling crookedly.

"Hey," I say, scratching the back of my neck. I guess we're both pretty awkward. "should we go to the place, thing, bench- you know-"

"Yeah, let's."

We walk with hardly any space between us, our shoulders pretty much touching, like personal space has just flown out of the window, and I like that. I like being comfortable with someone. When we get to where everyone else is already, we sit down, much closer to each other than we are to everyone else.

"So," I see Louise begin to speak. "What do people want to talk about?"

My eyes flick over to Chris, watching as he starts to talk. "Uh, Pj and I are going out." He announces, having only told me before now.

"No surprise there." She states, and Pj buries his head in his hands, a visible smile across his face, and Chris swings his arm around Pj's shoulder. "So, anyone else got a boyfriend?" She asks, wiggling her eyebrows, mainly at Tyler and Connor.

"Nah, but Tyler and I are best friends, not boyfriends, though."

"Shame," She adds. "how about you two? Boyfriend?" She asks, looking at me mainly. "Girlfriend?" She then says, directly to Phil. 

"N-no, but, uh-" I say, because Phil is my best friend, and now seems like a good opportunity to say so. "Phil is my best friend, I mean- I don't know about him, but-"

"Yeah, we're best friends." 

I put one arm up on the table, my hand setting down on something that is definitely not part of a wooden table, and more so a pale hand. I don't pull away instantly like I probably should, and just turn, a blush rising across my cheeks, smiling at Phil, who smiles back.