Chapter 4

Marinette's POV

Today's my 18th birthday!!! I'm super excited!!!

I got out of bed, yawned, stretched, and squealed in happiness. I hastily got dressed and bolted out of my room and towards the dining room for breakfast. I'm greeted by my parents, who are the sweetest people ever, and then I sit down. I looked down at my plate to see a small, yet intricate cursive signing of my name in pink frosting on a cupcake.

Marinette.

That made me giggle a bit.

After eating breakfast, I asked my mother, "What are we going to do today?"

She grinned and stated simply, "It's a surprise."

Oh, I do love surprises...

Later that evening...

It was only one hour until the ball, so I was getting ready. The maids picked this extravagant red gown with beautiful black lace designs. They always said I looked good in red.

As I continued getting ready, I heard the very faint sounds of laughter echo from the ballroom. They all sound so happy. Oh, tonight's going to be great!

One hour later...

I was walking gracefully down the staircase towards the dance floor now. I heard people murmer, "Mon dieu! She looks gorgeous!!" And, "Look how much she's grown!" I blushed slightly but proceeded to walk down the staircase that lead to the dance floor.

I reached the bottom of the staircase and stoped. My father proudly announced, "A toast to my beautiful birthday girl, and the kingdom's source of happiness!"
Everyone raised their glasses and said, "To Princess Marinette!"

I smiled thankfully. Everyone was so kind and happy... that made me feel a bit fuzzy inside.

I walked to the middle of the dance floor to my father who was standing there. (It's tradition for when the princess turns 18 she and the king have the first dance).

But just about as the first song was about to begin, a group of strangers burst through the doors. Everyone looked at them...

...And started to scream.