Chapter 24: Still Care?

Katnis walked into Biology a minute before the bell rang

Katnis walked into Biology a minute before the bell rang. "Right on time,  Ms. Swan." Mrs. Newson said with a smile.

Katnis gave a small smile.

"Now, I know you've enjoyed sitting alone these last few months but Mr. Cullen needed a seat so I hope that won't be a problem."

Katnis looked over at her table and low and behold, Edward was sitting right next to her stool. It was as if he never left.

"No problem." Katnis said and crossed the room and took her seat.

"Now that the class is complete, we can get started on our blood type experiment." said Mrs. Newson as she started passing out the necessary tools they'd need.

"I already know my blood type, Mrs. Newson." Lauren called out.

"Humor me, Lauren and do it anyway." Mrs. Newson said. "Now, I'm going to be walking around to make sure you all are doing this correctly. You will be receiving a participation grade."

Katnis, not bothering to really listen to the rambling of her teacher, picked up the pricking needle and quickly gave her middle finger a quick prick. A dark drop of blood pooled at the tip of her finger and Edward went as stiff as a rod.

Katnis noticed and rolled her eyes. "Hold your breath," she hissed before she reached out, grabbed his hand and squeezed a drop of blood on the tip of his middle finger before Mrs. Newson made it to their table.

"Great job,  Edward and Katnis." she said in passing.

Edward sat staring at the drop of blood on his finger. The monster inside him was raging deep down, trying to find a way to the surface. He wanted to suck his finger into his mouth just to have a small taste of her blood but he knew that would only be the end of his family. He would definitely lose control then. 

Once the experiment was over and done, and everyone tossed out their bloody napkins and cleaned their fingers, Katnis leaned forward on her table and lowered her head to rest on her forearms. The time was going by pretty slow for some reason. She was ready to get out of this class and away from Cullen. Being so close to him wasn't as easy as she thought it would be.

Suddenly, she heard a low growl coming from beside her. She lifted her head and looked at Cullen. He was gripping the table so tightly that it was starting to ware under his hands.

"Cullen!" she hissed quietly. "Calm down before you do something stupid, again." she said, speaking on him trying to get himself killed by the Vultori.

Edward met her gaze with coal black eyes. She could tell that he was close to losing control. So, without hesitation, she set fire to the metal garbage bin that contained the bloody napkins.