Chapter 28: Assumptions

It's been a week since Katnis and Edward shared words in the woods and Bella and Peeta barely let her out of their sight

It's been a week since Katnis and Edward shared words in the woods and Bella and Peeta barely let her out of their sight. Since she ran out of the school, without a word to them about what happened when she got back, they've been worried. They really got worried when the noticed Edward Cullen push to his feet to go after her. Peeta attempted to follow but Bella, and a glare from Rosalie and Emmett, stopped him, saying she needed space and that most likely Edward Cullen would be the last person she'd want to talk to.

Bella kind of felt bad lying to Peeta. She knew Edward was going to find her and that her sister would most likely have words with him about how she felt when he left and how she felt about him being back. But she didn't feel bad for to long because she knew Katnis needed to get everything off of her chest and she didn't need Peeta around to make it hard for her to speak the truth. 

Katnis sat on the ground under a tree, drawing, while Peeta and Bella sat on the picnic table watching her.

"Is there a reason for all the staring?" Katnis questioned without looking up from her drawing pad.

Peeta and Bella shared a look before Peeta spoke up. "We're just worried about you. You ran out of the building last week upset about something, frightened even, then you returned as if nothing had happened."

Katnis nodded. "I did but everything worked out the way it was supposed to."

"How?"

"I got the closure I needed. That's it."

Peeta swallowed. "We noticed Edward Cullen went after you not long after you left," he said. "Did you two talk?"

Katnis nodded. "Yes, we did."

"About what exactly?" he questioned.

"Things that were left unsaid between the both of us."

"Peeta then took a big breath. "Did you kiss him? Was that the closure you got?"

That for her attention.

Katnis lifted her gaze, her brows narrowed, and met his. "Excuse me?"

"You said you got the closure you needed. Edward Cullen followed behind you after you left."

"So you just assume that we kissed, that that was the closure I needed?" she hissed before she pushed to her feet.

Peeta pushed off the table. "I just thought that that would be the closure you needed." he said.

Katnis glared at him. "No, you just assumed that that was the closure I was looking for. You assumed -" Katnis stopped for a moment then looked into his eyes. "Tell me the truth. Tell me why you assumed Cullen and I kissed."

And, without wanting to, he did just that. Peeta told her the truth. "I figured you needed to kiss him to really know if you wanted to be with me. I thought that maybe I was just the fall guy you needed to lean on until you were ready to go back to him," he stated. "And maybe you don't really want to be with me the way you think you do."