Bluebells, Buttercups, Daisies and Forget-Me-Nots

"KimNam! " the young girl shouted,  waving over the boy who was walking on the sidewalk. 

The boy,  a 5 year old by the name of Nam Joon , turned his head over to where the young girl,  (Y/N), called.

Nam Joon quickly  hid the 'bouquet' of flowers that he had picked for his friend as he walked towards the smiling girl. He smiled back at her,  noticing the tiny flecks of mud on her face and her pigtails. 

"What's in your hand KimNam? " the girl asked, curious eyes trying to catch a glimpse of the flowers.

Nam Joon blushed when she uttered his name.  It was a nickname only (Y/N)  was allowed to call him.  He didn't like it when others called him 'KimNam'.  It was something only meant for her. 

"These are for you !" He said,  quickly thrusting forward the messy bunch of flowers: bluebells, buttercups, daisies and forget-me-nots.

His mother had a beautiful garden in the back of the house.  He remembered a day when he sat down next to his mother as she explained the symbolization of each and every flower. She had told him that the way to a girl's heart, was through understanding her and showing that he was 'committed'. He did not know what 'committed' meant, but he was determined to be just that.

His smile faltered when he saw the condition of the flowers;  the petals had fallen off,  the stems were bent and mud had covered parts of the leaves since he hadn't  thought of removing the roots.

He was waiting for her distain on the condition of the flowers but instead,  she gave him a wide smile.  "Wah!  They're so pretty!  Gomawo KimNam! "
(Y/N)  gently placed the flowers inside her little basket,  smiling as she did so. "I will treasure it with all my heart! " she promised. 

Nam Joon sighed in relief and grinned.  He knew his mother would scold him for taking out the flowers but right at that moment, as he stared at the bright smile that was on (Y/N)'s lips,  he knew that he would do it a thousand times again as long as he got to see that smile. 

The two children began playing together,  sitting under a tree as they made tiny houses and gardens with the dry sticks and the flowers that he had brought. 

"(Y/N) "
"Yes,  KimNam?"
"We'll always be together right?"
"Always."

. . . . . . . .

"(Y/N)!"
The (e/c) girl stood by the gate of the school, her bag slung over one shoulder as she held several books in one arm. She turned her head,  watching as a teenage Nam Joon ran up to her. 

"Aish!" He panted.  "You really walk like a horse. "

"Maybe you're just too slow KimNam. " she teased, ruffling his hair before walking off again. 

"Aigoo.  . . This girl." he muttered, a smile lighting up on his lips as he walked behind her.  (Y/N)  stopped in her tracks when a bouquet of flowers were shoved in front of her face. 
Nam Joon didn't need to look to know that she was smiling; not when it came to this. 

As usual, the bouquet consisted of bluebells, buttercups, daisies and forget-me-nots. 

Nam Joon's mother had become accustomed to finding several of these specific flowers missing every week so she had simply planted a separate batch for her son to take care of. 

(Y/N)  flashed him a bright smile,  "Gomawo KimNam!"

It was a mystery why she never commented on the poor condition of the flowers.  While other girls would giggle and frown at the messy state of the flowers, (Y/N) always looked at them as if they were as beautiful as a set of long-stemmed roses. It was a trait that Nam Joon appreciated about her. She did not see the brokenness in things but the beauty worked into it.