Chosen Fate

//R

I'm getting out of here. It doesn't matter what it takes, I need to get out of this damn cage. Penguin is probably keeping me here to lure the rest of the Team and I can't let them fall into it. The cage had a simple lock I could easily pick. If anything, I could easily kick the cage door off of its hinges. The only difficult part of my escape is Swan.

She seemed serious about not letting me leave. I've seen her almost kill people without a second thought. The only reason they are alive is because I had to stop her. I don't think she would hesitate to kill me too. 

Then again, if she wanted me dead I wouldn't be having these thoughts right now. The best option I have at the moment is to create a distraction. How do I distract a girl with no emotions without my utility belt? Come on Robin, Batman would be disappointed. 

There is a wooden dresser to my right that I don't have time to dig through. There is a mattress and a food tray with a fish sandwich, no utensils. The birds were out of their cages roaming free in the warehouse and in the far corner was a section closed off by velvet curtains. Definitely an upscale area compared to this rusty silver cage.

One of the birds flapped its way over to the cage and perched on the roof. The plan started to formulate in my head and I finally settled on a well thought out escape plan.

"Uh, Swan? Do you, by any chance, have anything to eat." I finished quickly pretending to be shy.

She sat up and walked over to the tray on the ground. She picked it up and plopped down in front of me. The sandwich wreaked! It smelled like Wally's uniform after a long mission. Do you have any idea how much a speedster sweats?

"It's the best I've got." she stated and offered me the tray.

I took the sandwich 'gladly' and examined the contents. Uncooked fish, perfect! In the most serious tone possible. I looked at Swan who looked at the sandwich longingly, yet disgusted at the same time. Is this her lunch, an uncooked fish sandwich? 

"Here." I snapped her out of her trance.

I tore the sandwich in half with great effort. My arms were weak and sore. I offered one half to Swan and she put her hand out in reply.

"No. You haven't had the proper nutrients for the past 2 days. I already ate." she lied.

I left half of the sandwich on the tray against her arguments. I only need on half of the sandwich anyways. I quickly went into action before Swan had the chance to act. I kicked the cage door off of it's hinges with ease. I was still off balance and dizzy, but I was standing. Swan was right, I'm extremely weak, I haven't eaten in days. I whistled as loud as I could getting all the birds' attention. 

I threw the fish sandwich at Swan. I missed, not having enough strength to throw it, as it landed at her feet. It was enough as all the colorful birds filled the cage cutting Swan off from leaving the cage. I crawled under the attacking birds and finally made it to the door. I kicked this one open also and ran into a dark alley. 

My breathing was shallow and my stomach was grumbling. My legs were burning, but I continued to run to the closest zeta beam. I typed in my destination and hacked the system so I wouldn't be announced and my travel wouldn't be recorded. I zetaed to the Batcave hoping Alfred and Bruce weren't there to question me and slow me down. 

I grabbed the ham and cheese sandwich from Bruce's desk. While I was devouring the sandwich I realized Bruce must of not eaten the sandwich since I was missing. It hurt me to know that my absence had caused Batman to refrain from eating. I know he cared for me a lot, so I felt guilty when I made him worry about me.