Chapter 1

I woke up to the muffled sound of somebody knocking at my door. I groaned and literally rolled out of bed falling onto the floor and slowly standing up rubbing the sleep out of my eyes before dragging myself over to my apartment door and opening it slightly, seeing my friend Shinoa Higari standing there.

     She smiles at me as I yawn.

     "Good morning sleepy head," she teases and walks in. I close the door as she sits down on my couch and turns to me.

     "It's too early to be awake." I mutter, not expecting her to hear me, but of course she did.

     "It's seven a.m. You start your first day of training in an hour. I wanted to make sure you were ready."

She gives me a goofy grin as I walk in the my bathroom to get my hairbrush. I start brushing my hair and ignore her comment.

She turns around again and grabs the TV remote switching the television on and flipping through channels.

     I take the time to braid my hair, brush my teeth, and change into my uniform. I walk into my kitchen and grab a piece of bread slipping it into the toaster and pushing it down.

     When I turn back around Shinoa is standing there. She begins to fix my hair and I let her.

     "Now remember, just because it's your first day, doesn't mean Guren is going to go easy on you." I wave her off and turn back around as my toast pops up I grab it and put it on a napkin grabbing a stick of butter from the fridge.

     "I know I know. You've only told me about 1 million times this week." I take a butter knife and start slathering the butter over the toast.

     "I'm only trying to make sure you're ready." She states matter-of-fact like. I sigh and pick up my toast and take a bite out of it, talking muffled.

     "I know you are. Thank you." She smiles and looks at the clock.

     "Well it's almost time to go. We should leave a little bit early so we can be there on time."

     "Okay," I respond, mouth full as I finish my toast.

     I grab my bag with multiple weapons and we both head out.

~~~~~~~~

     Shinoa guides me to the other side of the facility where four people are waiting and talking around Guren.

     I smile and walk to them, getting their attention by waving. The only girl, a short girl with long blonde pigtails, looks me up and down skeptically. I hold my smile, not showing my uncomfortableness.

     Guren starts to say something but is quickly cut off by one of the three boys, a tall boy with pink hair and glasses, interrupting.

     "This little girl is the new recruit?" My smile falters. Well this is off to a great start. Another boy, one with black hair and stunning emerald green eyes shouts at him and hits him in the head with his fist.

     "Don't you have any sense of decency at all?!" He scolds. I stare, unsure of what to do or say.

     The pink haired boy gets fired up and starts yelling back about how he's the one with decency and the other boy was just a coward. I get nervous as they both start arguing loudly but soon enough Guren intervenes.

     He swings his leg up and easily knocks over the both of them with great force, one falling on top of the other. My mouth gapes open in astonishment. I knew Guren was strong but I didn't think he was THAT strong. He barely put any effort into his kick.

     Shinoa sees my shocked face and walks up behind me grabbing my shoulders and pushing me towards the group. Guren acknowledges me once again.

     "(Y/N). Welcome. These are your teammates. I'm sure you're well acquainted with Shinoa Higari, the leader of this team." He puts his hand on the blonde's shoulder next. "This is Mitsuba Sanguu. You two are the same age." I nod at her and she just stares at me. Guren then points to the other boy. He has longish brown hair and dirty green eyes. "This is Yoichi Satome." He smiles at me and I smile back. Guren takes in a breath before motioning to the two boys on the ground. "These ones are Kimizuki Shiho and Yuichiro Hyakuya. As you can see, they aren't the brightest."

The black haired one, Yuichiro, sits up and yells at Guren.

"Say it again old man I'll knock your lights out!" Guren ignores him and turns back to me. This only upsets him more he starts yelling again as Guren continues to talk to me.

"Today you will be leaving with this team to go track down another team that we lost connection with. It's more than likely that they've been kidnapped by the vampires and if that's the case, you will retreat immediately and report back to me. Understood?"

"Yes sir!" Shinoa and I say at the same time.

I grin. My first time venturing away from the safety of the facility. How exciting. I might even get to see a vampire.