5 | The Close Call

Reese does tell Carter that they are soulmates, and then he is so shocked but happy to have found his other half. Carter dumps Gemma immediately, so that him and Reese get together right after, living happily ever after.

Reese wishes.

In reality, Reese watches the couple become closer, the next few months harsh on her broken heart. Reese gains multiple chances that she could tell Carter the truth, but is hesitant. Carter always seems so incredibly happy with Gemma, and that's all that truly matters to Reese. Even though her heart screams and weeps when it witnesses Carter and Gemma doing romantic, could things together. Even though she dies a little inside when Carter calls Reese, only to speak for hours about Gemma. Even though the pain she feels when she's hanging out with Carter, only for Reese to watch Carter leave her to see Gemma, is similar to pressing your hand directly into an open fire.

Reese thinks she'd rather press her hand into flames at this point.

Carter is happy, and that is all Reese wants in the world. To see Carter's baeutiful smile, a genuine smile, his eyes lighting up with joy, it brings warmth to Reese.

So she doesn't tell him.

Summer is fastly approaching, and Reese is trying her best to study for finals, keep up with work, pick up pieces of her heart that she finds on the floor every now and then, and figure out exactly what she's going to do when the semester ends. In the summer, most people either have an apartment, or they go back to stay with their parents. Reese doesn't have either option, and is starting to get a bit worried. She contemplates asking Jordan and Asher if she can stay with them for the summer, but Reese doesn't want to burden the couple. She can be a chore, and she doesn't want to put herself on the couple.

"Reesie! There's a few apartments in my building that are opening up this summer. You should try for one of them!" Carter informs Reese one day. They are currently in Carter's shared apartment with Gemma, the latter being at work. Reese mentions that she might start looking for apartments soon, when the other gives her the information.

"Thank, Carter. I might try for one." Reese sighs, Carter smiling big. Reese raises an eyebrow at him when she notices he was smiling at her a little too long to be comfortable.

"I just love that Nathan found you first, and you still stutter when you talk to him, but you no longer stutter with me. I win!" Carter exclaims, face bright with happiness and victory in his eyes.

"You win? What, were you betting on me?" Reese scoffs, chuckles. She isn't mad. After all she could never be mad at Carter, at least not for too long.

"Nope! It's a silent victory. In my mind, we were totally going at it. But I won! Ha!" Carter finishes, stuff a handful of chips into his mouth, and Reese smiles at the adorable sight.

This man is her soulmate.

"Babe? I'm home!" At the sound of Gemma's voice, Carter jumps up, rushes to greet the her warmly. Reese deflates a little, but tries to keep her front up. There are kissing sounds that ring loud and clear in Reese's ears.

"Babe-- babe wait! Reese's here, stop!" Followed by giggling. Reese feels herself flush in embarrassment and looks over towards the window, suddenly finding the view outside quite intriguing.

She could jump right now. Just finish this. Jump, and that'd be it. It would be perfect.

"Reesie! How are you?" Gemma's voice snaps Reese out of her thoughts, pulling her attention away from the window,

"H-Hey Gemma. I'm okay. H-How was work?" Reese questions, fiddling with her fingers. Before Gemma can answer, Carter is interrupts excitedly.

"Oh! Guess what? Reese doesn't stutter with me anymore! Hah! I am the first one she stopped stuttering with. She likes me more than all of you guys!" Carter mocks, wicked smile gracing his lips. Reese sighs and is about to apologize to Gemma but stops abruptly when she notices Gemma turning to looking at her.