9 | The Departure

Nathan,

Thank you for caring. You are one of, if not the most selfless people I've ever met. You put others before yourself in almost every situation, and I truly appreciate you in every shape and form. Thank you for always reaching out when I needed you, even if I wouldn't tell you what was bugging me. You are the rainbow after a soft rain, and your beauty will never be forgotten. I wish I had enough time to repay you for everything you've done for me, for all that you've given me. You've taught me how to be a better person, how to thrive without anyone else, and I'm most thankful for this. I'm only sorry for, in the end, not being completely honest with you, when you were 100% honest with me. Thank you for being you. Stay that way, okay? For me?

x

.

Carter stays true to his word, Reese finds that out when she awakes the next day. Her blinds only let in few rays of the sun from outside, the dingy dorm room dark although it's well into morning, maybe even early afternoon. Reese begins to stretch, only to find that she can't. Carter has a vice like grip around Reese, both bodies wrapped up in each other. Reese looks up, meets Carter's gaze only to find him smiling softly back at her.

"Morning, sleepy head. You were out. Did you sleep good?" Carter's fingers rub circles into Reese's lower back, soothing.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for being here, Carter." Reese smiles. She actually did, for the first time in a while, sleep amazingly. Reese slept so good, in fact, that she sort of feels slightly energized.

The soulmate effect.

Carter leans forward, presses a friendly kiss on Reese's head,

"Carter will always be here for Reesie. If you ever have any problems, you know you can come to me, right?" Carter looks at Reese, seriously. Reese quickly nods, and Carter relaxes. Reese sighs inaudibly,

No, I can't.

.

Reese takes a day to herself, spends it in the quietest corner of the school library. She tells the guys that she is studying for finals, and they promise not to call or text unless it's an emergency.

Reese is not studying for finals.

Instead, she pulls up every book the library has on soulmates, Hanahaki disease, and the red strings of fate. There isn't much on both of these topic, which Reese expected anyways.

Most people who have Hanahaki disease aren't found out until it's too late. They choke to death on their respective flower, or their organs slowly shut down on themselves. Scientists are unable to gain as much information from a dead body, as they are from a live, so not much information is available. People who have Hanahaki disease tend to keep it under wraps, not letting anyone know or the bare minimum. It is after they have passed, that their loved ones find out what happened.

Reese was taught about Hanahaki disease as she grew up, but she finds that actually having the disease, and what they vaguely told her in school are completely different. It irritates Reese, to think that these schools are teaching all these kids a bunch of bull shit. Then again, most people with Hanahaki don't live to teach the real thing.

Reese thinks that she would like to live through her Hanahaki, for the sole purpose of teaching those who are misinformed. But she knows this is impossible, has accepted her impending death.

Then, there are the red strings of fate.

The red strings of fate originate from Eastern Asia, and are an old Chinese myth. The Gods apparently tie a red string around the pinky finger, or ankle of two souls that are destined to be together. No matter what happens, no matter where these two souls may wander, they will meet eventually. The Lunar matchmaker God, Yuè Xià Lǎorén, is said to be the one that determines who are meant to be together. The red strings of fate can stretch to any length, get tangled, and even become thinner, but they never break.