8 | The Comfort

Reimar,

Thank you for understanding. We are a lot alike, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm so comfortable around you. We didn't have much time in your studio together, but with the little time we did have together, I saw a different side to you. On the outside, people may see this grumpy, pale man with a soulmate who is his complete opposite. However, when a person is given the amazing opportunity to delve deeper, they are pleasantly surprised. You are passionate, funny, can be loud when you want to be, have a big smile, and you act so cute sometimes. I know that sometimes, you're very insecure about Nathan being your soulmate, you think he's too good for you, but Reimar, you're wrong. Anyone would be lucky to have a soulmate like you, and Nathan is the lucky one. You put your all into your work, and always understood when I got a bit too shy. You never pressured me into anything, and I'm so thankful for that. I will forever be thankful for that. Stay happy and stay healthy.

x

.

This is going to be special, of course, so they begin planning. Carter updates Reese on daily, tells her what they've talked about so far, what they've planned so far, only to call back an hour later with something completely different.

Sometimes, Reese doesn't answer the call.

She is knelt over the toilet, heaving fragrant black petals from her respiratory system. Or, she is just laying in her bed, mind swimming with nothingness and truly, she can't bring herself to pick up the phone.

To speak to Carter.

It all hurts too much, but at the same time, Reese truly wants Carter to be as happy as possible. Reese knows that Carter is the most happy with Gemma, so she will do whatever it takes to keep her soulmate happy at all cost.

Even if it means hurting herself.

Reese only calls one other person that day: Shawn, and the line goes straight to voicemail. Reese briefly lets Shawn know that she is quitting the job as stripper, then hangs up. She knows that there is no need for that job when she is lying on her deathbed, so why not get rid of it now. It sucks, Reese actually enjoyed her independence, but all good things must come to an end in Reese's portfolio.

Speaking of good things coming to an end, Carter informs Reese that him and Gemma decided on June 26th. It is, apparently, Carter and Gemma's anniversary. It is also, the day after the last day of classes. This thought causes Reese to look down at her final portfolio for art class, the book a mess of abstract and color. Reese finds it interesting, the first few projects are in black and white.

"Draw the first animal to come to mind... now, on the next page, turn it into a villain."

Reese had drawn a dog with nothing but stencil. The dog is wide eyed, gazing at whoever opens the page with shining eyes. Then, you flip the page, and the dog's face turns snarling. It's standing on hind legs in a thunderstorm, controlling a bunch of angry looking cats on leashes. Reese has no clue why she's controlling cats, or why it's during a thunderstorm. Maybe for the cliche, but Reese can't help but wonder why she decided to draw a dog. She prefers cats.

Carter likes dogs.

As you dive further into the book, the pages and artwork come to life with color. Reese chuckles, darkly, when she flips to a certain familiar page.

"Draw a mystery in your life. The day before you turn this in, tell me: did you solve the mystery?"

She had drawn Carter. The first page that she drew in color, two days after she had bumped into Carter outside of Explicit. Reese wishes that she could say she figured out the mystery. It is not the day before she's supposed to turn it in, but Reese takes a black oil pastel, and in large, bold letters over the top of Carter's beautifully drawn face, she writes: