10 | The Rejection

It's shocking.

Wyatt was right, it truly is shocking.

The park is filled with greenery, beautiful colors, and magnificent sounds. However, when Reese's string is cut, it's almost instant.

The colors bleed into themselves, then they're gone. Reese's world is returned to its previous black and white dome, and she tries not to show her disappointment.

Stoic now, emotions later.

Reese keeps her blank stare, watches as Wyatt ties Carter and Gemma's strings together.

Then it's done.

"Okay, it's done." Reese announces, lets her hands fall to her lap, and she feels exhausted. To be honest, Reese is surprised she can even speak clearly, surprised that she is able to hide her emotions so well. Reese looks up to Carter's excited face, and Gemma's frowning one.

"Are you sure it's done? I can't... nothing changed. I can't see any color." Gemma says, and Carter must realize it then that his own black and white have not yet returned. Reese furrows her brows.

"I-It's done, I promise. I uh--"

"Gemma, don't you remember what the books said? Sometimes it takes a bit for it to sink in!" Carter clasps his hands together, seemingly very pleased with the situation at hand.

"Oh, you're right. Well, I guess we shall see!" Gemma sounds skeptical, she's looking at Reese with a skeptical look, and Reese can't help but to shrink in on herself. They did everything right, Wyatt tied Gemma and Carter's strings together, Reese saw it with her own eyes.

It worked, right?

"Okay, let's celebrate! I am cooking a feast tonight!" Jordan smiles, and everyone cheers. Reese looks in the direction of where Wyatt had been jogging, and finds that he is gone. A feeling of dread tickles Reese's feet, moves up her body and through her veins, and she begins to think that this is the calm before the storm. But if it worked, why would there be a storm? It doesn't make sense...

Right?

.

Reese goes the next two days feeling relatively normal-- as normal as someone with Hanahaki disease can feel. Reese's mental health was the first thing that declined, now it is her physical health. She's beginning to lose muscle, and it's only a matter of time before his body cannibalizes her heart, and she dies.

Reese sort of hopes she chokes on black petals before that happens, the painful process of one's body eating its own heart a vivid reminder that Reese probably should've skipped nutrition class.

Reese laughs at her own thoughts, realizing that she has gotten so used to the fact that she is going to die, that she is now trying to pick one way to die over another.

It's horrifyingly tame.

Wyatt and Reese both agreed that they wouldn't tie Reese's string to Gemma's soulmate's string. Reese is going to die, anyways, so there's really no point. Reese just feels bad because, this means that there is literally someone out there who does not have a soulmate. They are wondering this earth, will probably become very sick soon and wonder what the hell kind of bug they caught. This person may go to the doctor, but a licensed physician cannot tell if someone is without a soulmate. They will go all their life without finding their soulmate, and be broken.

Reese can't let that be the end of their story, even if this is someone she has ever met. She caused this, and she refuses to leave it at that.

"Don't worry about it. I'll figure it out." Wyatt reassures, and although they haven't spoken for that long at all, Reese finds herself trusting Wyatt, and not worrying about the situation at hand.