The Frozen Hero

Chapter 6

Jamie’s eyes slowly opened. When they completely opened she realized she wasn’t at Jacob’s apartment, or Steve’s apartment, or her van. Instead she was in a hosptail room. Iv’s in her arms with flowers, ballons, and teddy bears at her bed side. Jamie quickly recalled the events of earlier. The dinner with Steve, the accident. Steve. ‘Does he know I’m here?’ Jamie asked herself. Suddenly a nurse walked in.

“It’s great to see you’re awake.” Jamie slowly nodded.

“How long have I been out?”

“About two days.” The nurse said. “I’d hate to get you worked up, but the police said they wanted to talk to you as soon as you awoke.

“Yeah, okay.” Jamie said nodding. About ten minutes later a police officer showed up. For some reason cops scare the living day lights out of Jamie.

“Hello Miss. Taylor,  I’m officer Anderson with the NYPD, and I’ll be asking you some questions.” Jamie nodded her head.

After about what seemed like thirty minutes of questions officer Anderson left. Jamie looked over at the table next to her and sighed. The nurse came back in.

“Do you need anything miss?”

“Um, could you tell me if a guy stopped in. He’s around 6’4 and has blonde hair, blue eyes.

“I’m afraid I don’t know sweety.”

“Okay, did Jacob surivie the acciendnt?” Jamie asked.

“No, I’m afraid not. Just press that botton if you need anything else though.” The nurse said before leaving. Jamie sighed, and looked at a card she didn’t notice before. It was from Steve, and in the card it said call me when you’re awake. Jamie smiled, and pressed the botton.

“Yes, what do you need?” The nurse came in again.

“Could you um, please call this number for me.” Jamie said holding out the card.

“Sure.” The nurse said before leaving.

                Steve heard the phone ring.

“Hello?” Steve asked when he realized it was an unknown number.

“Is this Steve Rodgers?”

“Yes.”

“Hi, I’m Marie from the Lincon medical hosptail, I’m calling to let you know Jamie is awake and would like to speak with you.”

“Tell her I’ll be there shortly. Thanks.” Steve said before hanging up the phone.

About twenty minutes later, Steve showed up at the hosptail. He already knew what room Jamie was in. When he entered Jamie’s face lit up.

“Steve!”

“Jamie!” Steve said while rushing by her side. Steve hugged Jamie. “I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Thanks.” Jamie said hugging him back.

“I never should have let you get in that car. I should have fought harder, done something. It’s my fault you’re in here.” Steve said, a sad tone in his voice.

“Steve, it’s okay. I’m okay. And I don’t blame you for what happened.” Steve looked up at Jamie.

“Are you sure you’re not angry.”

“I’m not angry. I want you to know that it was my fault.” Jamie said

“Don’t say it was your fault.”

“It was. I’m the reason Jacob’s’ dead, and I’m the reason I’m in here.

“But you weren’t behind the wheel.”

“I know that, but I caused him to spin out of control.” Steve looked at Jamie confused. “I broke up with him, and he lost it.” Jamie said looking at Steve. Steve placed his hand on Jamie’s. The heart monitor got faster, but Steve ignored it.

“You’re not the reason Jacob’s dead. He was drunk, he spung out of control. Not you.” Steve said looking deep in Jamie’s chocolate brown eyes.” Jamie smiled, but then she frowned.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Steve asked looking at Jamie, worry deep in his voice.

“I have no where to stay.”

“Jamie, you can stay with me.” Jamie’s face lit up.

“Really?” Jamie said, a hint of enjoyment  in her voice.

“Really.” Steve said.

“Thank you so much Steve.” Jamie said stroking his hand.

“You’re welcome.” Steve said as Jamie’s eyelinds began to get heavy. “You should get some rest.” Steve said and Jamie nodded her head and drifted off to sleep, still holding hands with Steve.