The Frozen Hero

Chapter 12

About a week later Jamie was able to go back home. The time in the hospital brought her closer to Clint and Natasha. Jamie thought of the both of them as older siblings. Jamie looked over at Steve who was driving her minivan.

“I’m going back to work tomorrow.” Jamie said looking over at Steve.

“I know. Are you worried?” Steve asked looking over at Jamie for a moment.

“A little, I’ve had so much time off of work, I’m afraid I’ll get fired.”

“No you won’t.”

“Are you sure?” Jamie asked looking over at Steve.

“I’m positive.” Steve said pulling into a parking space.

That night Jamie and Steve had a lovely chicken dinner, and went to bed early. Jamie was wrapped in Steve’s arms, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

When Jamie woke up she immediately got dressed in this http://www.polyvore.com/jamie_work/set?id=119741913

Jamie walked through the front door to the New York Time building. Lucy’s usually happy face was sad.

“Ann wants you to go to her office right away Jamie.” Lucy said her voice grave. Jamie nodded, she knew she was about to be fired from her dream job. Jamie walked out of the elevator, and was greeted by Jennifer.

“Hey,” Jennifer said with a thick sadness in her voice.

“Hey. Is Ann going to fire me?” Jamie asked Jennifer.

“I think so sweetie.” Jennifer said and Jamie’s heart sank. “Ann loves you, but you can’t keep missing work.”

“I know. Trust me when I say if it was my choice I wouldn’t have been in the hospital.” Jamie said walking with Jennifer the short distance to Ann’s office.

“Well, this is your stop. I’ll be here when you’re done.” Jennifer said stopping in front of Ann’s office.

“Thanks.” Jamie said before knocking.

“Come in.” Ann said after a few seconds. Jamie opened the door.

“Lucy told me you wanted to see me.” Jamie said walking into Ann’s office.

“Yes, please, sit.” Ann said motioning for Jamie to sit. Jamie sat in one of two soft office chairs Ann had.

“Listen,” Ann began. “You’ve missed quite a few days in a row Miss. Taylor. I can’t have you missing anymore days. This is it. You miss one more day this year, you’re fired. There are plenty of other people who could do your job.”

“I know, and I didn’t want to have time off. But, I don’t think that’s fair. I was off work because I was in the hospital. The first time, I tried to come back early, and you told me to stay home and rest.”

“Life isn’t fair Miss. Taylor! Now, I regret thinking I could give you time off to rest. Apparently that caused you to think…..” Jamie interrupted Ann.

“That didn’t cause me to think anything, Ann.” Jamie nearly yelled.

“Don’t interrupt me ever again. And, it’s Miss. Wilson to you. This is your last straw Miss. Taylor. It’s either you show up, or you have a job on the unemployment line. Is that understood?” Ann asked Jamie.

“Understood.” Jamie said, lowering her head.

“Good, now leave. There is a stack of Paper on your desk, I need them by five.” Ann said as Jamie was leaving.