36 | rick grimes

RICK GRIMES
officer

Rick never liked to talk about his work. Ever. More often than not, he would come home feeling stressed and upset, though he refused to tell you the true reasoning to his bad mood. He would usually blame it on his chief, but you knew better. You knew that he had seen some pretty foul things as a police officer, and you knew that his increased hours was taking a toll on him.

Today, like most other days, you hear the familiar sound of keys being inserted into the door, before the door unlocks with a click. As the door swings open, you turn your head back, smiling gently at Rick as he walks in with a frown. Once he glances up at you, he plasters a smile on his face — a smile you know is forced, even if he is happy to see you.

"Hello, darling," his words are deep and scratchy, tiredness evident in his voice.

Rick trudges into the room, sitting besides you on the couch as he holds a few unopened letters in his hands. As he reads over the first letter, you rest your hand on his knee as you start a conversation with the man you love.

"Today, at work, Sandra was talking about an animal shelter," you begin. "She said how her sister had got a puppy for her children and they loved it," you smile wider as you watch Rick's eyes scan over the black and white print.

He nods, paying attention as he multitasks between reading and listening to you. "Oh really," his words have some interest in them.

You nod enthusiastically. "I was thinking, since Carl is here for half of the week, after," you cough somewhat awkwardly. "You know, you and Lori splitting up," your voice lowers as you try not to hurt him. "I was thinking that we could get a puppy? Or a kitten?" You suggest.

"Sounds lovely," he mumbles as he continues reading, his eyes squinting a little at one point as he moves onto the second letter.

Rolling your eyes as he doesn't pay attention, you nudge his shoulder gently, as he looks up at you with confusion. "Rick, you're not listening, honey," you mutter.

"Sorry, darling, it's just I'm reading a letter from the bank," he apologises, before setting the paper onto the coffee table. "Please, continue,"

You nod, the both of you locking eyes as you talk again. "I was saying, since Carl is here quite often, that we should, maybe, get a puppy? Or kitten?" You suggest with an expectant smile.

Rick doesn't show any emotion or anything, as he only blinks a few times. "...a pet?" He questions with confusion. "But, I'm out all day, and you work too," he shakes his head only slightly.

"I work at home, Rick, I only go into the city to present my work once a week," You scoff lightly, shaking your head at him. "I'll be with the puppy pretty much all the time, it'll be fine!" You insist happily.

He tilts his head to the side, his face evidently unsure. "But it might not be house trained, and then we'll have to walk it and care for it..." he sighs. "It's just a lot of work," his hands rest on your legs as he pulls them over his lap.

"But imagine how happy Carl will be, he'd love to have a pet!" You press again.

Rick groans. "(Y/N), we can't," he peers into your eyes as you cross your arms and huff.