08|

eight

An entire week passed without Christian and I speaking because of our conversation about Meghan. I wasn't too proud admitting it was hard not talking to him, but seeing as we couldn't even converse as two adults without it catapulting into the fiasco it did, I figured space was necessary.

During my daily call with dad, he made it obvious how much he disagreed which didn't come as a surprise. Leave it to Christian to make me look like the asshole to dad. Whether I were to blatantly disagree with his poor choices or come out with the reason the disagreement even started to dad, I would look bad. Chris already had time to spin his web for dad and I wasn't interested fighting to survive it.

"Dad, look, I have a shift to get ready for. Whatever issues Christian has with me that he can't handle on his own without needing to call and tell you instead of addressing me is his problem."

I wait for dad to correct me on my attitude so I can apologize and hang up the phone but he doesn't. instead a scoff echos through the receiver.

"Wow," Chris laughs weakly, "Nice to hear how you speak about me when you don't know I'm listening."

Did dad seriously ambush me into a three way call?

"Oh please, Christian. I told you my concerns as a sister in a mature manner and instead of taking heed to them, you threw a tantrum. I was trying to look out for you. And dad I don't appreciate you inviting him to the call when I told you days ago I didn't want speak with him until he apologized. I've got to go. Bye."

Instead of waiting for some conjured up apology, I didn't wait for a response from either of them because I didn't need or want one. My day had already started out stressful and I hadn't event made it to work yet.

Walking to work during the day was quickly becoming therapeutic. The air was clean and without humidity which made the winds breeze that much better. If I hadn't actually started to enjoy my job, this would be a day I'd skip for.

Hinkhouse was slow in the morning which was to be expected.

I raced straight to the lounge to pack my things away and dress myself in the rest of my uniform. After successfully completing all of my remaining areas of training with Josh last week, Kevin switched me from the kitchen to waiting tables. Josh and I spent hours role playing server's etiquette during our sessions of training that I could recite it backwards in my sleep. It wasn't my competence that was bothering me—whatever it was—I couldn't put my finger on what it.

"There she is," Josh says excitingly, . "I say this without a tinge of humor, Kevin was literally harmonizing with the birds this morning. Pretty sure the man's in love with you." He notices the immediate shift in my demeanor following his statement and quickly shakes away any misconceptions with his hands. "Not literally of course. He's married and faithful as hell. I just mean he thinks you're a good employee. Just take my word for it."

"Yeah, of course."

We discuss the proper ways of waiting tables again before he wishes me luck and leaves me to start his shift in the kitchen. Throughout the remaining minutes left before my shift started, I rehearsed lines Josh and I did during training to sharpen my memory.

My dad would be the best person to talk to right now and fact that I couldn't call him or brother for moral support dampened the mood. Instead of sending either of them a text like I started to, I tightened the apron around my waist and headed towards the door.

On my way out, Professor Thornton walked in. "Alexandrea! Hey. You're a server now. That's exciting." He says, squeezing his way pass me into the lounge. I didn't have time to talk so I gave him a smile, waved hello, then headed to a table with people seated in my section.