41|

forty-one

The day concludes once Wyatt and I leave the library after more rehearsals for The Scarlet Letter. Though there was still quite a bit of time left until showtime—he and I made plans to begin set designing first thing next week. From the library, Wyatt drives me home and walks me to my dorm, insisting on hauling all my birthday gifts on his arm. Today was perfect. More perfect than I could've imagined it being without my dad.

Thankfully, Wyatt posed an excellent distraction to where I hadn't thought about it once he showed up at Burt's. I admired that about him. It took little to no effort to keep my mind occupied. There was always some joke needing to be said or some statistic needing to be debated. I thrived off of it. Once I've gotten the door unlocked, and he's carried all of my things inside and to my bedside table, we make our way back into the corridor because Taylor was already sound asleep preparing for tomorrow.

"Home sweet home," he says once we're both in the hall and the door has latched closed.

It's only then that apprehension creeps up my nerve endings as I recall where our last interaction in the hallway left us. I wasn't opposed to what might come of our indiscretions tonight because I enjoyed Wyatt and the company he brought. Still, something deep inside me couldn't let go of what had already happened earlier this morning with Professor Thornton. It seemed wrong that the urge to mingle with Wyatt hadn't dissolved despite how the morning unfolded. If anything, the attraction only festered because I craved more of him.

I swallow the ever-growing lump forming in my throat, finding my finger circling the end of one of my curls.

"It's been a long day—one of the best I've had in a while. The majority of that is because of you, so thank you. For making me feel valued."

"You are valued. Plus, it's only right to spoil you on your day. I couldn't resist it."

He eyes me with those big, beautiful emerald greens and steps closer to me. Close enough to feel the heat radiating from his body. He wraps an arm around my torso, resting his hand on the small of my back before pulling me in closer. Neither of us speaks, but a conversation is the last thing on either of our minds. Internally, I'd been begging him for the slightest sensation his touch would bring me, though nothing came out as I stood before him.

Wyatt runs his tongue along his bottom lip, never breaking contact with my eyes before he leans in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. It isn't as ferocious as the ones I'd shared with Trevor. My lips and Wyatt's moved synchronously, birthing butterflies in my gut and a pulsating thump between my thighs. If Taylor hadn't been in our room, I'm afraid of where our kiss would have led us. Instead, he pulls away from the kiss to look me in the eyes again, not yet allowing distance to separate us.

"Thought I'd solidify your birthday with a kiss," Wyatt says in a husky whisper after inching toward my ear. His breath sends desire coursing through my veins—burning me from within. Once our eyes meet again, he takes a step back. "Sleep well, beautiful. Can I call you tomorrow? Maybe we can do something. A date?"

I battle with myself, trying to prevent the desperate smile from escaping through my lips but failing miserably.

"Let's."

He leans in once more and pins a kiss on my cheek before heading down the corridor to the elevator.

"Goodnight," he says, turning to steal one last glance in my direction. It's impossible not to smile, and I know by the heat escaping my face that my cheeks illustrate the intensity of my feelings toward him despite my attempts to mask them.