19|

nineteen
two weeks later

I clung closely to my comforter despite the fact that my alarm had given me several indicators that I should've already been ready to start my day. The wind blew chillier outside and the slush radiating from ground only amplified the coolness seeping through our locked window. With Christmas right around the corner paired with the uninterrupted fall of snow, riding my bike to work had never been more distasteful than now. I dreaded it. So much so that I convinced Kevin to let me out of work for a week to find reliable transportation to and from.

Kevin hadn't known—no different than anyone besides Professor Thornton and I—that I was in fact trying to avoid seeing Trevor after embarrassing myself in his lecture hall a few weeks ago.

I hadn't seen him since. Partly because I was sure he'd been trying to avoid me as well. Instead of showing up for his classes, I begged Terrance and a guy named Sydney from the other class I had Professor Thornton for to collect any notes or missing assignments. Attendance was a major factor when grades came into play and as the days dwindled down to today, I knew I could no longer maintain an A average if I retained anymore unexcused absences.

I sighed hard, squeezing myself into my blanket one last time before finally allowing the chill of the room to engulf me in tiny bumps all over my body as I prepared for the work and school day ahead. After I pulled myself from the heat of my shower and down the hall to my room, my phone chimed. A text from Sawyer flashes the screen.

Josh told me you ride a bike to work? WHY? I'll be there in fifteen. Oh and Alex, get rid of the bike 😒

Sawyer showed up exactly ten minutes later and thankfully I'd already used that time to ready myself in my uniform and throw my hair into a half up have down style before he could call me down. We talked about our plans for Christmas at first and then he unloaded on me about him and Sawyer deciding to move in together. Why the wait was his excuse to their impulsiveness, but I was the least to judge anyone when impulse came into play.

Not when the facts about me was I kissed my professor.

Apart from the speed of their relationship, both Josh and Sawyer were doing better together than they did apart and that was something no one could take from either of them. A twang of pride swept in me for convincing Josh to take the plunge and go for it.

The better half of my shift was spend without worry when I scanned the restaurant and Professor Thornton was no where to be found. Two weeks had slipped by without either of us ever working the same shift. Mostly due to me trapping myself in my dorm room avoiding the shifts we did have together.

Frankly, I still hadn't been ready to face him. Not after the stupid move I'd made on him. Especially not after the now countless dreams he appeared in after that kiss sparked my subconscious. I expected—practically wished to be completely rid of him when I slept, but even in dreamland I couldn't fully avoid Trevor Thornton.

During my lunch, Taylor made it a mission to join me which I didn't mind since I'd technically been trying avoiding her too until today. We both hashed out our differences in regards to her bringing Professor T into my personal life, but I still held firm on the concise details about the kiss I initiated between him and I. She didn't need to know. That is if Trevor hadn't already told her himself.

Taylor shimmied into the lounge bundled in a huge mint green winter coat that sort of made her look like a gumdrop but in a completely adorable way. I watched her remove it and lay it across the table before plopping down in the chair across from me while we waited for our lunch to be finished. She pulled a letter from the pocket of her jacket and placed it firmly on the table in front of us—the same table I dreamt about Trevor and I indulging in illicit behavior—and crossed her hands in front of her chest.