14|

fourteen

"Please explain to me why you thought it was necessary to pack your entire dorm room? Not only are we gonna be gone for five days, but you do realize we're going home to where the rest of your things are? Bringing all of this is unnecessary," Christian protests, stuffing my belongings into the trunk of his friends car.

"It's five outfits, Christian. You're probably the only person to ever bring one change of clothing for the span of a week."

"Forget it. Just get in," he pauses, shutting the trunk. "We have a long ride ahead of us and we all have to pitch in driving. He's never driven this far and this was the only way I could convince him," Chris ends, heading to the passenger side door.

Before hitting the highway, Marcus—Chris' friend stops at a gas station for a quick bathroom break and to fill the tank. We grabbed a few snack for the road to hold us off from stopping for as long as we could.

I slept away majority of the ride in hopes of harnessing every bit of strength I had until it was my turn to take over. Also, sleep was the only solution capable of resisting the urge to ask Christian if he knew what was going on with Meghan and Trevor. It wasn't our business to pry into, but rationalizing felt more urgent and if I hadn't slept, the outcome wouldn't have been pleasant.

Once Christian stops at a gas station to fill the tank again, he takes the passenger seat and leaves me the drivers. Marcus sprawled out on the backseat trying to regain the energy driving five hours straight stole from him.

With all the time left on this drive and my brother sitting beside me, the strength to refrain from meddling grew increasingly difficult. Chris had to know what Meghan was planning to do. And if he did know already, surly he would've broken up with her the minute he found out. Trevor didn't deserve whatever angle she was trying to work on him. He was too nice of a guy to be treated the way she'd been treating him and it was obvious he was slowly acquiescing.

I suppose she wanted to take away whatever ounce of dignity he had left and it probably made her feel better about herself—in control. But maybe it was I  who had been getting too involved. Too involved with his problems when frankly, I had my own to stifle through.

"So, how's Meghan? Last time I saw the two of you together you were practically kicking me out your dorm so she could stay," I laugh, being sure to keep the mood as light as possible.

Before speaking, Chris takes a look to the backseat at Marcus, who'd still been just as asleep as he was when he switched places with Chris right before sundown.

"I didn't kick you out, Alexandrea," he sighs, side eyeing me. "She's fine—we're fine, I guess. Why do you want to know?"

"What's with the attitude? I'm just trying to make conversation so i survive getting us through this last stretch of road. If it makes you that upset, never mind."

Chris pulls his phone out to type something up. His screen nearly illuminated the entire car due to the lack of light outside. We had an hour left.

"Her and I have very different ideas of what it means to be in an exclusive relationship. We aren't dating anymore. We have sex occasionally but that's as far as our relationship goes," he sighs. Despite his inability to choose the proper companion, Christian never had an issue expressing his love for someone. He'd never openly admit the fact that he would go to the ends of the earth for someone he loved, but he would. He shrugs away his statement, throwing his head on the rest

"You sound disappointed,"I pause, shifting my eyes from the road, desperate to steal a glance at his expression. "Wasn't her being a milf the entire reason you found her appealing in the first place?" I laugh. "The fact that she's desirable to a lot of guys on campus? I mean—Isn't that what you said?"