Chapter 7. Her Eyes

Christopher

I woke up in a cold sweat. My heart was beating like crazy and I felt like complete shit. I can't believe that it happened again. It was unbelievable that my nightmares came back.

I got up from bed and stumbled to the kitchen where I got myself a cold glass of water. But it didn't help. I was still freaked out. It felt like shit. I had to call someone, so I took my phone and dialed Mrs. Bloo.

Desperately want to get rid of this feeling.

I had to.

Leave a message after the beep.

She wasn't picking up...

I called again and again, but it didn't work.

At last, I sat down on the floor. Staring at the display of my phone. What should I do now? What if my depression will come back? What if they start talking to me again?

I had to speak to someone.

Anyone.

I don't care who it is.

But there was no one, no one that would help me through this night. There was no one to call, except...

---- 4:27 a.m ----

I was sitting with my knees to my chest. Rocking myself back and forth. Trying to hush my mind. It has been years since I've had a nightmare. Years since I last thought about it. It felt horrible. I wish she was here to hum me back to sleep.

To feel her arms around me again. I took my phone. Her number was more clear than the face that had faded with time.

I can call her...

All I have to do is call her. But what if she doesn't pick up? Or worse? What if she says those horrible words again...

---- Part of a memory ----

"I'm sorry, Chris. It's over."

---- 7:03 a.m ----

I sighed.

It was already 7 am and I haven't closed an eye. And that wasn't even the worst part of today.

Today I had to torture those kids. Oh. Oops. I meant tutor. I drank my coffee while staring out of the window. You see, I'm not like everyone else. I like my coffee, the way I like my girls. Sweet with a hint of bitterness.

With all honesty, I don't understand how people can force themselves to drink their coffee black. It's disgusting.

But that isn't important, let's go back to my horrible life. I dialed Mrs. Bloo's number one more time. I swear, if she doesn't pick up, I will drag satan up from hell to show her how pissed I am.

Because this night has fucked me up and I feel like fucking someone else up, to suffer along with me. Yes. I am that kind of asshole.

But since I have fired everyone, I can't.

Maybe I should stop firing people. But it's not like anyone would fire themselves with the amount of money that I give them.

They call it their salary, but it's more like charity. I mean come on. What boss gives you twenty-one dollars an hour to do nothing behind your desk? Either Way, Mrs. Bloo did pick up. Wasn't she lucky?

"Christopher?"

My breath got stuck in my throat. Wait. What? I didn't answer. I didn't know how. I didn't know if I could.

"Chris... Is it you?" She suddenly spoke

Her voice sounded like a whisper. Carried by the wind, right into my soul. It couldn't be.