f o u r | s k y e

f o u r | s k y e

d r a w i n g o f l a n a b y LunarOracle

d r a w i n g  o f  l a n a  b y  LunarOracle

      SKYE CANT BEAR to look at Lana. He's known the inevitability of this moment and he knew that she would eventually meet his father, or would hear about his identity from some of the other apprentices. Skye just never mentioned it because for once, it was nice having someone look at him and not see that he is next in line for the throne— the Dragon Prince. For once, even amidst all the chaos, he felt normal.

    "Who is this, boy?" his father growls, and Skye sighs as Atol falls into his usual title for him.  It seems to bother Skye more than usual, the humiliation of being addressed that way in front of the one person who doesn't know this side of his life makes his face burn.

    "Lana is someone Arlo and I encountered on our travels. She helped us escape from captivity and—"

    His father's eyes suddenly become ablaze and he steps away from the table he had been standing over. "And where is Arlo now?"

    Skye feels a sting in the back of his eyes, and he curls his fists, but stares at him steadily. "He gave his life so we could bring the prophecy to you, father."

"I see." He says, not even a flicker of emotion crossing his stony expression.

Anger rises up within Skye at his nonchalance. "You don't even care? He died. Now Lana—"

    "I care nothing of this girl." his father says coldly and closes the distance between them with a dangerous glint in his eyes. "Give the prophecy to me."

    Shame suddenly gives way to a blaze of irritation that washes over Skye, overcoming the usual compliance he normally gives his father. "She's a Dragon Rider. Her mark is the same as yours and mine, or has your sight failed you, father?"

    Atol's eyes burn with fury, cold blue hardening to steel, and Skye immediately regrets his words. His father raises his fist and he flinches, closing his eyes in horrible anticipation. But the blow doesn't come.

Slowly, he opens his eyes and finds the older man staring at the bandage around his shoulder. Atol reaches up, and peels back the part of his bloody shirt above the bandage callously. Skye wants to cry out as his shoulder screams in pain, but he just bites his lip, determined not to show weakness in front of his father. He feels his father's fingers brush against his shoulder, and realize that's where his dragon mark is.

    His father looks up and meets Skye's eyes coldly. "Sometimes the mark isn't good enough."

    He snatches the prophecy from Skye's hand then digs his fingers into his wound for good measure. Skye gasps, his vision goes red as pain shoots through his entire arm and he doubles over, cradling his aching limb and using all his willpower not to cry out. Lana is there in a second and brings her arm around his back gently, and he sends her a look of gratitude.