e p i l o g u e

e p i l o g u e

THE HALL IS filled with hundreds of jovial people, their bodies shifting back and forth in anticipation and the youngest and smallest of the crowd stand on the tips of their toes to try and catch a glimpse of what is about to occur. It's the moment right before victory, where everyone holds their breath as they leap into the air and are held there right in the moment before they fall back down to earth, and the air hums with the excitement.

At the front of the crowd, with a prime view of what is about to happen stands a group of four, each with broad smiles on their faces with a weight to it, their expressions giving way that they know extreme grief but are holding fast to the happiness of the current moment as they talk to one another animatedly. They all proudly wear medals around their necks, each with the symbol of a dragon carved into the precious metal, a symbol of the highest honor. While they wait for the main spectacle, the people of Orleyn admire the four and the other Dragon Riders beside them, the story of how they defeated the Morai now legendary among the people.

Standing right beside the aisle, Lana touches the medal around her neck gingerly, the smile on her face fading slightly to be replaced by worry that pinches her eyebrows together, and she bites her lip. Beside her, Raz places a gentle hand on hers, sensing her unease. "He's ready."

She sighs and nods. "I know. It's just I know these past few months have been hard on him and-"

"Lana." Raz interrupts her before she spirals further downwards and she takes a steadying breath. It's not that she doesn't have faith, it's the fact that she knows how difficult it had been for him, for all of them, to do simple things after the attack on Orleyn. Walking, sleeping, mundane tasks that shouldn't have been hard challenged him, and although Lana knows he's made leaps forward in progress‒they all have‒she still feels the discomfort of the shaking, fluttering dance of anxiety moving its way through her chest. The night prior had been difficult, all of them excited for the events today would bring, but he doubted he was even worthy, but they all know he was wrong.

"He was born to be king."

Lana nods at this statement and her hands curls into a fist around the cool metal, it's chill feeling good against her sweaty palms as the sound of the door opening clangs through the hastily hushed hall. The collection of people all turn to face the figure standing in the doorway, and listen as a loud voice booms through the cavernous space.

"Announcing Crown Prince Skye of Orleyn."

There's an immediate uproar that overtakes the silence that fell over the hall as Skye makes his way up the aisle cleared for him. The people of Orleyn, and even foreigners from other islands, stamp their feet and raise their voices in support of the coronation of their next king. The sound is deafening, and Lana joins in, enjoying the burn at the back of her throat as she cheers at the top of her lungs.

Skye smiles at the reception, his face lighting up with the radiance of the sun as pride and love rushes through him. He's like a god walking upon the earth, an ethereal being that's transformed by the very atmosphere about him. The dark cloud that had been following him his whole life, the storm that had destroyed him these past few months, fades in an instant and his very presence has an airiness about him that makes it appear as if all the weight in the world has been lifted from his shoulders and he's walking on clouds.

The very sight makes every last bit of worry fade from Lana, making her doubt why she even felt any sort of trepidation in the first place. She had always known he was ready to take this role, his rightful place as king, but it was the fact that he never knew himself, letting his past haunt him and prevent him from ever moving forward that had bothered her to no end, but now those bothers are put to rest.

Skye treads lightly upon the path set out in front of him, his armor not weighing him down in the least, years of baggage being lifted from his shoulders. His whole life his own father told him he would never be good enough for the throne, telling him that he would never have the honor of leading their people and if he did, not one person would respect him, and yet here he is, in a position he never thought he would be in. The wounds his father wrought upon him seemed to finally heal in the unadulterated support he is witnessing, his fears of being alone stamped out, making an infectious happiness and peace settle upon him.

His gaze meets Lana and he's filled with warmth as he sees the fierce love and relief in her eyes, but most of all, what makes his heart pound a little faster is the pride he sees in her beautiful smile. Beside her, Raz and Arlo look towards him proudly. Even Samena gives him a slight nod of respect.

Skye's heart has never been more full and with complete confidence in himself and his people, he walks to the front of the hall and faces the leader of the council in front of him, ready to swear any oath to complete his coronation and begin his reign as Dragon King of Maris.

The vows don't take long and as Lana watches him promise to uphold his duties, protect Maris with his life, and vow to serve the people until the end up his reign, a warmth burns brighter in her chest than it ever had before. When she first met him, he was simply a lonely prince searching for recognition and she was a beaten slave who had been abandoned until Skye and Arlo found her. She can hardly believe how things have changed, and despite all the pain and the nightmares and the hardships she's endured, she's never been more grateful.

After his vows have been spoken and the crown has been presented to the council member, Skye turns and faces the crowd. His gaze skimming over all their faces before settling on hers with a softness that made Lana's breath quicken.

A spell is cast on them in that moment. The people around them and the knowledge that they are finally safe and happy ignites a fire brighter than the sun within their hearts, a beacon that only each other can see.

Skye smiles at her and silently mouthed the words she had been dying to hear. "I love you."

Pride and love overwhelm her with emotion and she feels tears prick the back of her eyes. "I love you too."

The glittering crown is placed upon Skye's head. The crowd roars their approval.

A new era has begun.