e i g h t e e n | s k y e

e i g h t e e n | s k y e 

SKYE LAYS THERE for what seems like hours, and feel the life drain from his body in the form of blood, sapping all of the strength from within him slowly and painfully

Before this moment, he thought he knew pain. He thought that when his father beat him senseless, he understood what it was like to be broken but he never really knew. Not until now. Not until Arlo, the man who was there for him whenever he needed him, the man who put him back together after his father destroyed him, the man who helped him grow up, betrayed him. Not until Lana, the girl who changed everything in his life, the one he never wanted to say goodbye to, left him without one.

No, he never knew pain until now, at the end.

It's as if Arlo's sword was lined with poison, and the wound on his shoulder is spreading it throughout his body. It consumes his limbs with burning agony, and makes it almost impossible to move or simply exist. He finds himself struggling to breathe, as if every breath he gasps in isn't enough for his dying body.

He lays there quietly for a moment, struggling to breathe, when suddenly, he dimly hears movement through the pain. He tries to move his head to see who's approaching, but he finds even that small movement to be draining. Instead, he waits patiently for the end he expects to come. Likely, it's a dragon hunter that's just been waiting for an easy picking. Killing off the Dragon Prince would be something to brag about, he's sure.

Unexpectedly, he hears a whimpering sound. Mustering the strength within him, he slowly tilts his heavy head to the side, and he meets his dragon's gaze.

"Firedust," he manages to gasp, and feel relief surge through him at the sight of him. At a time like this, he wouldn't have anyone else by his side. His dragon feels anything but relief as he sees his Rider however.

His deep red ruby eyes stare at him pleadingly, begging him to keep fighting. Another whine escapes him as he gently nuzzles Skye's side, his scales rubbing against his skin roughly as he tries to encourage him to get up. But he can't get up. Skye's once quick breathing starts slowing down along with his racing heart rate, falling to unnaturally slow tempos. The world around him seems to be falling behind, as if Death himself seems to be extending his hand to him. He doesn't think he can refuse him much longer.

Slowly, he brings his hand up from his side, determined to make contact with his dragon one last time. His hand shakes slightly from fatigue as he raises it above him, and he has to use every ounce of available strength to press his hand lightly against Firedust's face.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, looking his dragon in the eye, and telling him everything that he can't find words to say. That he doesn't think he's going to make it. That he needs to find Lana for him. That he needs to take care of everyone when he goes.

If he goes.

Firedust pears at him, his large ruby eyes shining as he realizes what his Rider wants from him. He whimpers softly, but sensing what he needs, he falls to the ground and curls his body around Skye protectively. Then suddenly, Skye can feel a strong surge of denial and determination through their bond. He still doesn't believe this might be the end. And he doesn't want to.