e i g h t | s k y e

e i g h t | s k y e

LANA AND SKYE talk about their recovered memory until about midday, even going so far as to explain how they met on the Sea Terror and how they made it back to Orleyn to Bryan and Ellerin, but it's like they're going in circles

LANA AND SKYE talk about their recovered memory until about midday, even going so far as to explain how they met on the Sea Terror and how they made it back to Orleyn to Bryan and Ellerin, but it's like they're going in circles. When hopelessness starts to set it for Skye, he can practically see the exhaustion and frustration radiating from her. Part of him had hoped that if he heard the story often enough, some long lost memory of her would appear in his mind, but it hasn't yet. It's not that he doesn't remember her either, he can feel the ghost of a presence in the back of his mind, like he's missing something. It feels like a dark void, an empty puzzle piece, where Lana should be.

    "That can't be the whole memory," He says again, running his hand through his hair, "There has to be more to it."

    "Who would have wanted to take our memories?" Lana says absentmindedly, and he finds himself pacing alongside her.

    Bryan looks up, equally as invested as they are. "There's only a couple people on Orleyn who have that kind of power."

    Lana and Skye both stop to look at him in surprise Throughout the entire time that they had discovered this new revelation, Bryan and Ellerin had been fairly quiet. He's still unsure whether it means that they were giving them space, or they didn't know how to react to the news either, but it's likely the former.

    As what he says registers in Skye's mind, the suspect list narrows, and what he's implying becomes clear. "Don't."

    "Look, Skye, your father is probably one of the only people who had the magical power to do it, and let's face it, actually would have done it."

    "What is that supposed to mean?" Lana interrupts with an accusatory glare towards Bryan, but Skye see a flash of understanding go across her features and purses her lips, likely already thinking back to our time in the infirmary. "What would he have to gain from that?"

    "You clearly saw something you weren't supposed to see that day. Whether it's for personal gain or for the good of you both, we won't know until one of you remembers."

Skye starts to open his mouth to counteract that, but pauses, feeling his already weak faith in his father dissolve. He's missing whole gaps of his childhood, and he always assumed that perhaps he was a forgetful child or maybe at some point his father had hit him hard enough to make him lose his memory, but to have used magic to wipe his memory? To make him forget a whole person and everything he knew about them?

Frustration burns through his veins as liquid fire, searing anger into his mind and soul. He's not surprised at this new torture, though the betrayal of it stings like an aftertaste in his mind, but the worst stab of pain about it is the fact that he doesn't know why. Why was he made to forget Lana? What did he see?

Skye sighs, feeling irritable at the lack of answers and desperate to change the subject. "Whatever it is, it isn't important right now. We have more pressing matters at hand."