New Suprises

Kaurvaki usually arose in the morning around the same time her father did, so she could be awake just as he was about to leave for day's expedition.

"Alright, I need you to pick up some things from the market".

Kaurvaki brightened, "Wait...really!"

"With the women's' group that is going today".

"Oh..."

Jagathnath looked amused. He knew his adventurous daughter wanted to explore the marketplace, but he couldn't risk her safety.

"Hey, maybe some time we both can go when catching  season is down alright?"

Kaurvaki nodded.

"Ok, so here is what I need you to get", he told her the various things needed, and she repeated them until she was sure she had it all memorized.

"Good", Jagathnath approved, then gave her a small bag with the official money needed.  She took it carefully and packed it in her pack.

He didn't need to worry about keeping the money safe, but he did need to worry about keeping herself safe. "Now Kaurvaki, remember to stay with the aunties and listen to what they are saying at ALL times."

Kaurvaki nodded, "I know,  I know". She smiled reassuringly, "Don't worry, I'll take care".

Her father finally nodded and got ready to leave. He went to gather some tying tarps near the doorway before he left, then turned to her and said "chalthi hoon" before walking out the door.

Kaurvaki quickly got dressed.

Even if she couldn't go adventuring in the marketplace as she pleased, it didn't mean that she wasn't excited. She quickly combed through her hair, then grabbed a sea-side fruit as she left the hut.

Many of the girls from the weaving group were present along with the other women. It was much more than usual.

Kanji waved to Kaurvaki. 

"Why are you going to market?", Kaurvaki asked her.

Her cheeks were pink, and she looked very breathless as if she had just come from a scrambling run.

"I'm getting some things for my mother...and", her eyes twinkled, "Ma and I will be scanning around to see any upcoming sales for items for the Meenakshi pooja"!

Kaurvaki felt a bittersweet feeling arise in her. Sometimes she would feel a twinge of something when a daughter got to spend time with her mother. She was grateful for everything she had, but she felt it was only natural to sometimes miss the presence of a mother. 

"Kaurvaki!" Kanji grabbed her hand excitedly. "Come let's go!"

Kaurvaki's excitement rushed back. "Yes!"

They all loaded into open bhel cart.

The driver sounded his whip in a swift click, and the oxen trudged along.

The best part about going to the market was the sight-seeing along the way! Kaurvaki pointed to a small "set-up" going on in the distance. "I wonder what that could be..."

Kanji peered at it. "Hm...I think maybe some upcoming fair!"

Another few girls were in the cart, Kanji asked them, they shook their heads. She raised her voice so the aunties on the other side could hear.

 "Aunty!"

They were busy chattering.

 Kaurvaki asked Neela who was sitting closer to address them. 

One aunty turned their way, "You were asking something kanji?"

Neela responded for her, "What is that they are setting up over there?"

Some of the other women turned to see, and their eyes twinkled as they looked knowingly at each other.

"Oh! It is that Jataka fair!"

All the girls looked more interested. "Fair?"

"Yes!", said Neela's mother. "When we were a bit younger than you all, there used be a fair along with the Meenakshi festival, but due to the constant conflict Maghad brought us", this she said with a disgusted look, "Money was needed to keep our borders strong, and slowly the fair went away".

The women nodded sadly. 

"But!", another woman continued. "The border has been very casual recently...maybe they are setting that fair back up!"

The girls looked very excited! Kaurvaki was hoping this was true, this would give her the chance to adventure in an area outside the fishermen boundaries of her home!

Neela made the sweetest face; "Ma, can we PLEEEEESE go and see if it is true?"

Her mother looked skeptical, the other women murmured with a little worry, but even they seemed excited at the thought. Finally, they gave into their curiosity.

"I see no reason why not!", said an aunty.

All the girls cheered!

"But."

Their wildness dropped a little.

"You must all listen to us when we say it's time to go,  the same rules apply ANYWHERE. Understood?"

They all nodded but were still very eager.

Neela turned to the girls. "This Meenakshi festival will be even grander if we have a fair along with it!"

A girl named Sindu nodded. "My mother told me about the fortune-telling stall there! And the fortune-teller was accurate for the most part too!"

Kaurvaki became interested, "Really!"

Sindu's mother laughed light heatedly, "Oh girls! There are still many many months till the Meenakshi festival!"

"But hasn't everyone started to prepare already aunty?", Kaurvaki asked.

She nodded, "Yes, yes! It is a big festival...but we are preparing earlier because this is the peak of our peace."

The mood among the women suddenly dimmed. 

One aunty very gravely said, "The dispute has settled down for a good three years, I heard from my husband that Maghad has had to deal with small arising conflicts elsewhere."

"Well whatever is the case", intervened Neela's mother, "Maghad isn't bothering us now, so we should celebrate the best we can"! 

She raised an eyebrow at the girls, "Right girls?"

They all forced chuckles to lighten the mood, but Kaurvaki wasn't feeling it. She didn't understand what the problem of the Maghad King was. Why couldn't they just be happy with what they had and leave the people of Kalinga alone?

She was trying to contemplate all this when Kanji touched her hand, "Kaurvaki...."

Kaurvaki looked at her.

"We're here".

Kanji looked worriedly at Kaurvaki. Kaurvaki saw everyone getting off, then she heard the festive sound of a marketplace: Laughter, entertainment, all in a distant. She wanted to join!

She stared at Kanji, then smiled wide, "Then what are we doing here! Come on!"

Kanji laughed, and they were normal again. They jumped off the cart adventurously and stepped into the realm of the marketplace.