Meena

A/N: Yes, yes...I know, much-awaited update! Enjoy and do comment, please :)                                      

***********************************************************************************************                         

Ashok wandered the beach grounds aimlessly. His feet sunk into the warm sand, at moments catching flecks of weed or seagrass digging into his rough skin.

He watched the setting sun playing with the horizon. The night was taking over. His fists tightened next to him, and he kicked the sand remorselessly.

A scuttling sound caught hold of his ears. His body tensed, and eyes flitted, observing a figure lingering at the corner of his eyes.

He had a feeling he knew who it was. Taking his time, he strolled along the path, vision keeping the stalker in check.

He scoffed to himself. What did she think of him to be, a fool? An idea came to his mind, and he hastened his pace.

Just as he had anticipated, the pursuer followed his lead.

It turned into a game. A game where he intended to test the speed of his suitor. Some moments he would become draggingly slow, then at an instance boltz out like lightening.

His grew frustrated as the figure behind couldn't match his pace. His muscles stiffened, and heels began to kick up the thorn and sand behind him.

Annoyance bubbled inside of him, and a cloud of dust swarmed his feet.

A yelp came out from behind. Ashok swung around, "Aha!"

His expression froze midway. An unfamiliar pair of eyes stared back up at him, the night masking her face, but stare wide and clearly not piercing like those of a fish.

She winced, as her foot struggled to get upright.

Ashok sighed, bringing a hand out to help her up. 

"I j-just came to give you something the kaka Ji sent", she stuttered out, bringing out the straw basket and presenting it to him.

"Who are you?", he asked sharply.

She flinched. Ashoka softened his tone, "Pardon, I cannot see in the night".

"Ahh-erm, I'm Meena, the daughter of head fisherman Kolu".

He nodded, then took the basket from her. "Thank you".

"Kaka Ji has also sent a message to you that you are invited to the main expedition tomorrow. Congratulations!" Her tone lowered in embarrassment. "You are to come early before sunrise".

"Main expedition..."

"This is part of the pre-expeditions before the Meenakshi festival. The fishermen of our clan have seen your worth and hard work, which is why they have welcomed you to join the main expedition series!"

"Ah...I see". Ashok's grip on the basket tightened. "Do you know how long the expedition will last?"

"Possibly a few days, it happens at the other shore, therefore the men must travel there."

"Where do they go?", Ashok pressed.

Meena was hesitant, "I'm sorry I do not know".

"Oh".

She was quiet for a moment, then added, "The Meenakshi festival hasn't happened for many years, so this is the first time in years this expedition is taking place. It is a tradition in our clan".

"Of course, of course", Ashoka nodded, "I would like to express my gratitude to the head fisherman".

She slightly bowed. "Of course, I will let my father know". Her figure didn't retreat, instead, she awkwardly lingered there.

Finally, Ashoka said, "Let me accompany you, is your foot ok?"

They began walking back.

"Thank you for asking", Meena replied quietly. "It will get better".

It was nearly night. 

"Are you able to see in the dark?", Ashoka asked.

"My abode is near, it will be fine".

Ashoka didn't want to entertain himself with aimless talking, instead, his mind scoured the trepidations that had kept him consumed for months. Suddenly, a thought dawned upon him. "Lady Meena-"

The girl froze in her tracks. 

"What happened", he looked around. 

"N-nothing, I just haven't been called that before".

Ashok bit his tongue. He slipped. Of course fishermen didn't use such regal formalities. The light of the crescent moon reflected the ocean waves, and he could barely make out the corner of her lips upturned. She was pleased. Ashok couldn't help but loosen the burden on his shoulders. He understood what was happening. 

"I'll just call you that then...". He peered down at her, lips tugging in a tease. He wanted to test something out, and right on cue, color bloomed on her cheeks. Even with the meager moonlight, he could make it out. Ashok chuckled, "Lady Meena".

He strode forward, expecting she would follow suit. "Are you well acquainted with this town". 

"Yes...", she responded shyly, now shoulder-to-shoulder with him. "As the daughter of the village head, I have frequented many parts of our sea port".

"Then I suppose you could help me?"

"Anything for you!" She was quick to chirp up, but when he glanced back at her, he could only imagine her face had gotten even redder. 

It was fascinating really, the type of power he held in this situation. It was one he hadn't been privy to most of his life, but had seen his brothers exercise so casually he'd feel revolted when even the palace maids fawned over them. 

The sudden thought of his kin, made him scowl.

"S-sorry!", Meena interjected. 

"Ah, I was momentarily consumed by my troubles. Do not mind my lady". 

"What troubles you?"

Ashok made a point to slow his steps, letting out a defeated sigh. "I have lost something very dear to me. It's a book of sorts from a dear kin. It is the cause of great fortune in my life and without it I feel unfortunate". He turned to face her, "I don't want to trouble the other fishermen over this. They have already done so much for me by taking me in. I've been trying to search for my lost procession in my spare time, but to no avail". 

Meena had grown silent, thinking. 

"Come", Ashok beckoned her. "It's already getting dark, let's hurry".

Her home was now only a few paces away, the doorway and windowsill lighted by lamps. 

"Wait", she halted. "I can help you".