Fear

"You want to go back to the Monestry?" She stared at him in disbelief. "Why?"

"Why do you go on frequent visits there." He asked her instead, gazing at her nonchalantly.

She breathed in. "We sometimes have extra baskets to lend."

"Yes, yes", Ahoka nodded unconvinced. "So I'm sure your father knows how you are familiar with the prayers and rituals they conduct. I think he would love to hear some of them from you! I could go and"—

"You have no right to interfere in my matters! Who are you to do so?"

His eyebrows furrowed briefly before the same unfazed expression lay across his face. "Hm, I didn't know that fisher girls could be so brash."

She crossed her arms, "Not only fisher girls, but the heart of every Kalinga woman is that of courage and fire. Every Kalingian knows this." She peered at him. "Are you even a Kalingian?"

He squinted his eyes and held her gaze. His eyes were piercing, breaking through and cold. Kaurvaki tried to hold her stance, but she was growing more and more uncomfortable.

Ashok stepped forward, "Are you going to show me the way, or not?" He said it like she didn't have a choice.

The anger boiled within her. How dare he speak like that. She had never encountered anyone so incoherent and mannerless. After all the fisher people had done for him, offering him a job, food, and a roof to sleep under. She knew she had to do something, she feared he could cause many problems for her people in the future.

Kaurvaki slowly placed a foot backward, then another, but Ashok just continued to step forward. In a split second, she turned around and lunged all effort into the air. Sprinting over clumps of broken shells and the heaps of warm sand.

He hair flapped wildly as she made spree, not even stopping to look back or wince at the sharp pain of her foot.

She had to find her father. She wasn't much of a runner and based on Ashok's body-structure, she could tell he wouldn't have a problem catching up.

Jagathnath was directing the supplies of fish that had just been docked on shore. His ears pricked at the gasping heaving mess his daughter was as she came stumbling over.

"Kaurvaki!" He rushed to her in concern. "What is it?"

She grasped his arms. "Father", she took in a huge breath while trying to recollect oxygen from the run.

"You need to rest, what were you doing?!"

She shook her head frantically, "I need to tell you."

"What?" He grew alarmed. His daughter never acted like this normally.

"It's, Ashok".

"What! What happened to him? Is he ok!"

"No!", She huffed at him in annoyance. Why was everyone so caring towards this stranger? He didn't even show an ounce of gratitude.

"Ashok he"—

"Sir"

Kaurvaki froze at the familiar voice.

Jagnath looked to the youth, and instantly his expression brightened. "Ashok my boy! Are you alright? What happened?"

"Nothing Sir", he came forward to stand next to Kaurvaki.

She glanced in disbelief at his unfazed posture. "Don't listen to him, Baba! There is something off about him, he could be a spy for all we know!"

"Kaurvaki!" Jagathnath stared at his daughter in shock. "What are you saying!"

"We shouldn't trust him."

He was ready to slap her then and there but paused as he realized the audience. His features engulfed in a brief sorrow at the thought he never imagined he would have. "Kaurvaki, is this how I raised you to be?" He looked over at Ashok. The boy looked unaffected. Jagathnath's respect grew for the youth when he had bluntly taken such an insult without responding back to Kaurvaki.

"Ashok my boy, forgive her, she is still a child."

He bowed slightly, "I'm sorry Sir, sometimes my hard-set demeanor can be intimidating to others."

Jagathnath shook his head, "No, no, you are fine". He gave an angry glance to the girl, "Perhaps there was something wrong with the way I raised her."

Kaurvaki's eyes widened in shock. The words stayed caught up in her throat. SHe could feel how Ashok was enjoying the drama. She wanted to cry out, she wanted Ashok to leave.

She hadn't ever bothered him. She minded her own business, and if she felt like her people were being harmed, then she would speak up. So then why did he have to cast an evil eye?

She closed her eyes for a split second. The monks had told her that one's worst enemy was their anger. But the blood boiled within her veins, and her fists clenched to make her knuckles white.

"What was it that you needed son?"

Son?! Kaurvaki flinched at what her father had addressed the youth with. Ashok didn't deserve to be called that.

"I wanted to re-visit the Monastery sir. Perhaps they could help with re-bandaging my wounds. That's why I had asked Kaurvaki since she knew the way. I didn't want to disturb the others."

Jagathnath pinched the bridge of his nose, eyeing his daughter in disgust. "I will take you, son. I didn't think she would act in this way." He walked forward to guide the youth by the shoulder.

"No!", Kaurvaki called out. She didn't want to burden her father anymore. "I'll do it."

Jagathnath didn't look at her.

"Please Baba", she said meekly. "I'm sorry."

"I shouldn't be the one you are apologizing to".

She winced at his tone, then approached the youth with her gaze lowered. She had never felt this angry to see such a relaxed expression on his face. He had made her father question his ability in raising her. He was a twisted young man. As she looked into his stone-cold eyes, she felt something she wasn't expecting, fear.

"I'm sorry." But she wasn't.